Author Topic: deseed  (Read 743 times)

matt

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
deseed
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:40:20 AM »
I would expect this to be commonly known and was quite surprised that it wasn't even recognised.

The letters were available for it in the standard puzzle yesterday (2021-01-19) but it wasn't accepted, even as rare.

I would also expect -er, -ed, and -ing to be commonly known but the letters weren't there to be able to test them so I don't know if they would be accepted.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: deseed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:14:46 PM »
Yes Matt, I too encountered this when I started playing. I also feel devein should be a word (prawns normally). It's interesting because reseed is a word and I would have thought it was less common than deseed. 
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:57:19 PM »
i also tried deseed.
I would also like a dollar for every hour that i have spent shelling & deveining prawns.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 04:26:04 PM »
Devein is already allowed, Jacki, along with deveined and deveining.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
Yes I know. I try to reach common words first. Probably deveining prawns in Australia is way more common than elsewhere! Like Les I know I spent literally hours deveining prawns this last Christmas and New Year, because I can't stand eating the poopshoot.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 05:17:20 PM »
Deseed is in some dictionaries. The usage examples I found were mainly using deseeded, and mainly in recipes. It is also quite often written with a hyphen.

Seeded can mean the same thing as deseeded - e.g. seeded raisins I would expect to have no seeds. But there is scope for some ambiguity with seeded, which is one reason for using deseeded.

From now on deseed, deseeded and deseeding will be accepted. I'm not convinced they should be common, so I'm making them rare.

I only found a few uses of the word deseeder, and they were mainly referring to a tool for deseeding pomegranates. (Whereas the usual reason for deseeding a fruit or vegetable  is to discard the seeds, in the case of the pomegranate the aim is to use the seeds, and discard the fibrous matter surrounding them.) I find deseeder a bit too obscure for our list, even as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
Good one!