Author Topic: International Test Cricket  (Read 1121 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
International Test Cricket
« on: January 19, 2021, 07:37:54 PM »
Congratulations to India who have just pulled off an amazing series win over Australia in Brisbane to retain the BORDER / GAVASKAR trophy.
They were totally humiliated in the first test in Adelaide when the entire side was bowled out  for a record low score of just 36 runs.
Then their captain & star batsman leaves the tour to be with his wife for the birth of their first child.
They are given no chance as they go to Melbourne for the second test as they begin to suffer injuries to their pace attack.
Against all odds, they fight back to win the Melbourne test.
The third test was held in Sydney & once again as their injury toll mounted they were given no chance but managed to hold on for a draw. (that result may been different if the Australian captain Tim Payne had kept his rubbish sledging to himself & concentrated on his wicket keeping )
So as we head to the final test in Brisbane, it is one all in the series, Australia must win to regain the trophy where as India can retain the trophy with just a draw.
By this stage of the tour, India have lost 8 of their first choice players & once again are given no hope of winning this final match in Brisbane with their "B" grade side after all it has been over 30 years since Australia lost a test match in Brisbane.
INDIA EASILY CHASED DOWN THE TARGET TO WIN BY 3 WICKETS
One of the most surprising & toughest series wins that i have ever seen!!!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: International Test Cricket
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 08:26:16 PM »
Yes, quite an eye-opening result.

Good luck to them.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
No doubt about it - the best team won and India's batsman, Pujara, was absolutely stalwart as he bravely faced a fierce attack and rarely flinched. Yesterday morning before start of play I heard India was 20-1 to win - fantastic odds - wish I'd had a bet Les!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:50:56 PM »
G'day Jacki, you will probably be shocked to hear that i rarely punt on sporting events as the odds are usually to skinny & with just two teams involved anything can happen however i did have a bet on the 3rd test when Australia were touring England in 2019.
After a modest first innings total, Australia's odds drifted so i had $500 the win at 3 -1.
Australia cleaned up England for a small total & batted well enough in the second innings to set up a huge and very improbable total for England to chase.
At this stage i was already imagining just exactly how i was going to spend my $1500.00 windfall but then Ben Stokes happened.
Aided by inept captaincy from Tim Paine, England went on to score an epic victory.

I think that Tim Paine for the most part has done a very good job after being gifted the Australian captaincy since the debacle in South Africa but it is time for him to go.
Make Pat Cummins the captain & bring in Alex Carey as the new keeper & vice captain.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »
I'm okay with Smith being captain and Paine vice captain. I think Smith is genuinely remorseful and everyone deserves a second chance. I think David Warner is a bad influence. I don't think he's honourable. He's also selfish - he can't just walk off when he's been given out - he has to waste a review.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
I agree with your opinion of David Warner, he is simply arrogant & unfortunately he seems to be able to influence Steve Smith which is why i reckon that they will not reinstate Smith as captain so long as Warner is in the team.
I think that they will stick with Paine for the upcoming South African tour.
It will be very interesting to see what transpires after that tour.