Author Topic: Yesterday's 10 letter DIGESTIBLE game  (Read 1383 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Yesterday's 10 letter DIGESTIBLE game
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:47:20 PM »
I played GIBLET and it was rare! I pressed on the meaning and it said " the edible viscera of a bird, usually plural" so I played GIBLETS and it was not accepted.
Is chicken giblet soup only common in Australia?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Yesterday's 10 letter DIGESTIBLE game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:31:30 PM »
It was still a thing in my UK childhood (50 plus years ago) but giblets stopped being supplied with the actual chicken about 40 years ago. I have a feeling that was one of the EU rules kicking in early. For a while you could buy them separately but these days it is only the livers that are available and those not that readily. I like to serve chicken livers with pasta. However most Brits are scare silly by any form of offal. How far we have come since the sheep's head broth of my fathers childhood followed if he was lucky by liver and onions!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:45:55 PM »
Common enough word as far as I'm concerned.
Nearly always plural, as well

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:12:10 PM »
However most Brits are scare silly by any form of offal.

I wouldn't eat any part of any animal myself but I suspect the reason Brits don't eat offal is because it tastes vile, at least as far as I remember from way back before my vegetarian days when I attempted to eat liver, which was truly disgusting. All a matter of personal taste of course.

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:52:02 AM »
I played GIBLET and it was rare! I pressed on the meaning and it said " the edible viscera of a bird, usually plural" so I played GIBLETS and it was not accepted.
Is chicken giblet soup only common in Australia?

It surprises me, Jacki, to hear chicken giblet soup is common in Australia. In fact I have never seen or heard of it in my 56 years here. That said I do know the word.

Sorry Pat, but I do disagree that all offal tastes foul. I have enjoyed various types over the years, cooked in various ways. It may be not to someone’s taste, but that is no different than some plant based ingredients not being to my taste due to their flavour or texture.

It also surprises me that it seems the tastes of the British have changed over the years, as my family, and it’s enjoyment of various types of offal, came to Australia from our original home in the UK. How the EU must have changed the country! Perhaps Brexit will remedy that!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:54:25 AM by Greynomad »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:57:11 AM »
How the EU must have changed the country!

The fanatical Brexiteers have blamed the EU for all sorts of things but no one has ever blamed it, publicly at least, for affecting Brits' taste in food!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
I was not saying that the EU stopped Brits eating offal. My Mother missed the giblets being in the chickens as they were an important part of making good gravy. I have met more people who dislike offal than those who like it. Mind you when questioned the majority of the haters have usually never even tried any offal.As has been said,we are all different in our tastes.  By the way,I was a remainer.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
It was a quote from greynomad that I was referring to, cmh. I'm sure no one actually believes the EU stopped the Brits fro  eating offal!   ;D ;D

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:05:03 AM »
Tongue firmly in cheek, Pat

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »
Tongue firmly in cheek, Pat

Was that ox tongue, Greynomad?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
Nice one Alan. Somehow we've digressed from the topic of the word giblet being rare, as often is the case with these things.
Seems like whether you eat them or not, you've definitely heard of them which in my book makes it a common word.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »

Seems like whether you eat them or not, you've definitely heard of them which in my book makes it a common word.

Quite right, IMHO.
Any word which is familiar to an educated adult native speaker in every part of the English-speaking world should be classed as common.
I do think, however, that said adult native speaker should have at least a rough idea of what the word means.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:15:06 PM by mkenuk »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:13:16 PM »
Ox tongue. Now that really is my favourite!!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
How far we have come since the sheep's head broth of my fathers childhood followed if he was lucky by liver and onions!
Reminds me of the Rolling Stones album Goat's Head Soup

On a side note I find it interesting that GIBLET was a word in the DIGESTIBLE game as some find this not to be so...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:10:03 PM »
Have you not heard of giblets ridethetalk?