Author Topic: 'actioned' - uncommon?  (Read 5790 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
'actioned' - uncommon?
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:15:54 AM »
'actioned' - came in yesterday's 'triple-header' Challenge.  It was played by more than 62% of players (202 from 329) - considerably more than played 'notice / noticed', for example.

It's not a word I particularly like - it always strikes me as a bit 'trendy' and 'businessy', the kind of word that comes in minutes of meetings - but I wonder if it can really be described as 'rare' or 'uncommon' when so many participants played it?

MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: 'actioned' - uncommon?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
The OED has three entries for action as a verb:
1. trans. To bring a legal action against. Now chiefly Caribbean. (earliest attested usage, 1734)
2. trans. To act upon physically; to move, manipulate. Also: to perform as a physical action, to act out. rare. (earliest attested usage. about 1797)
3. trans. Esp. in business jargon: to take action on, to deal with; to put into effect. (earliest attested usage, 1960, in the Times!)

I'm not a fan and will not use it myself, but it has been around for 55 years and, as you pointed out, a large majority of players knew it and played it. I'm sure there were plenty who knew it and did not play it (myself included).

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
I did a forum search to see if this word had been discussed before, only to find that the three previous occurrences of actioned were in relation to the Word List Suggestions page, where it is the label I put on one of the option buttons:

Which inevitably raises the question in my mind: is actioned so bad after all? More specifically, does the word meet a need? What alternative label could I have used - "Implemented", "Dealt with", "Processed to completion"? "Actioned" seems to convey the meaning most succinctly and clearly.

In any case, the word seems to be used widely enough that it ought to be made common. The only reservation I have is that it seems to be used much less widely in the US than elsewhere (notwithstanding the complaints one can find online that it is yet another Americanism polluting the Queen's English).

The Global Web-based English Corpus shows this usage distribution among English-speaking countries:

It looks like Kiwis use the word about twenty times as much as Americans! But this is not the only data source that indicates the word is little used in the US. The Corpus of Contemporary American English, which has texts from 1990 to 2012, has only one instance of actioned, and that is referring to "short-actioned rifles", so not the same sense as the business usage.

On the other hand, the British National Corpus, which goes up to 1993 only, has 26 instances of actioned. Amusingly, many of these are from an undated document titled New OED procedures documents. E.g. "...the forms should be actioned in ascending numerical order on the request serial number..."

The New York Times index reveals only one example of actioned used in the sense of "took action on", and that was in a direct quote (from Secretary of State John Kerry). This makes me suspect that use of action as a verb might be prohibited in the newspaper's style guide.

It's also noteworthy that most dictionaries do not have this meaning for action, including, in their online manifestations at any rate, major US dictionaries such as Merriam Webster, American Heritage, Random House and Webster's New World College Dictionary. Yet the British Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary includes action as a verb meaning "to do something to deal with a particular problem or matter". This meaning is in other British dictionaries also.

It's easy enough to find examples of actioned in US publications, but they are mostly specialized works, in management or technology.

So help me out, American forumites. How common is actioned to you?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:36:32 AM »
This is a tough one. Neither my hard copy of the American Heritage Dictionary nor my Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary shows action as a verb. And yet, actioned does not strike me as an uncommon word. It is undoubtedly used more in business situations.

MK, how on earth can you dislike a word that dates from the 18th century? =:o
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:54:27 AM »
Not being argumentative here, just curious: why would it be unusual to dislike a word just because it stems from the 18th century?

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:49 AM »
Not being argumentative here, just curious: why would it be unusual to dislike a word just because it stems from the 18th century?

Based on some of his past posts in the forum, MK strikes me as one who has a distaste for words of more recent vintage.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
 I admit to being fairly conservative in linguistic matters, although I do accept that language is constantly changing. I could never get involved with 'textese' though - I would never write 'w84me' in a text message if I meant 'wait for me', for example.

I think the reason I dislike the modern use of 'actioned', however, is that I associate it with the cold and impersonal style of much business writing: staff notices, memos and minutes of staff meetings are full of examples, often using the passive voice: 'this policy will be actioned,... X and Y have been tasked with....., it has been brought to our attention that...' etc.

In its entry on 'action' as a verb, Fowler's Modern English Usage writes that it 'is best left at present to the tight-lipped language of business managers' and gives as an example the following: 'dismissal will be actioned when the balance of probabilities suggests that an employee has committed a criminal act.'

Why can't they say 'You will be dismissed if...' or (even better) 'We will dismiss you if.....'?

MK

(For anyone not familiar with Fowler, his 'Modern English Usage' was first published in 1926 as a writing guide for British Civil Servants. The quote above is from the (much more recent) third edition.)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:57:15 AM by mkenuk »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
In my final working years I grew to loathe some of the ridiculous expression that grew out of management meetings. I worked for a cement manufacturing company which occasionally developed slightly different types of cement for specific use. The cement would be given a name and 'productized', and then we might have to 'diarize' a meeting to discuss it. Ugh, ugh and double ugh.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
Pat, 'diarize' has to go down as quite possibly the ughiest word I've ever come across.

Worse than that, my semi-literate spell-checker hasn't queried it!!

What, I wonder, would Samuel Pepys say if someone had told him he was spending too much time diarizing?

:o

MK

I should add that if disliking words such as 'diarize' and 'productize' is what RM means by 'having a distaste for words of more recent vintage' then, both hands up, guilty as charged!!

:laugh:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:16:47 PM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:46:04 PM »
Maybe we need to really "push the envelope" & do a bit of "blue sky thinking"  When we've all done that we can get "all our ducks in a row"!! ???
Sorry I'm changing the subject slightly here.  I couldn't think of any more ridiculous expressions :laugh:  There's not much call for them in the X-Ray department of the local hospital where I work! It's a horrible wet day and I can't solve the nine-letter word...Apologies :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 12:47:51 AM »
It's a horrible wet day and I can't solve the nine-letter word...Apologies :-C

Perhaps you need to think outside the box, Penny.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 02:53:53 AM »
Thanks Pat that's brilliant! :laugh:  I know now where I was going wrong...ha ha!    My daughter's gone off to Northampton for the balloon festival. She's not usually very lucky with the weather.  In the last few years it's been too windy or wet and they don't get off the ground.  I think she's only seen them go up once.  Fingers crossed they'll be lucky this year!  Penny :-C
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 04:42:46 AM »
I don't remember seeing "action" as a verb, or if I have seen it, I'd think it was one of those business phrases I find so, um, stupid - as if they are economizing and saving money (it's business, after all) by using a noun as a verb (verbizing?) instead of using a set of existing words, like those Alan listed.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:42:23 PM »
This has now been actioned - see here.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites