Author Topic: Chi books  (Read 1456 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Chi books
« on: January 10, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
Hello Alan,
I hope you are well?
Are any Compact or Express books in the pipeline? My mum and I have run out!
Thanks for doing such a great job.
Madeleine

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chi books
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »
It's probably about time for a new Express volume, Madeleine. Stay tuned - it shouldn't be long.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 02:40:51 AM »
Hurrah, thanks Alan! 🤞🏻

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:04:23 PM »
I've just released Chihuahua Express Volume 7.

It's now listed on the main Amazon sites, but it may not be available to actually buy just yet. When I visit the addresses below, I see the book available only from a third party supplier, Book Depository, at inflated prices. So it might be worth waiting a few days.

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SNP1MWL
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SNP1MWL

Availability on non-Amazon sites will probably take a few weeks to happen.
Alan Walker

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »
Congratulations. You are always doing something. Tell me, I don't know anything about you - are you a philanthropic logophile and how did you come up with the idea and motivation to start Chihuahua? And from a personal point of view, why do you do it?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
Jacki, a similar question was asked, and answered, within a few weeks of the forum starting - see the 2007 topic History of Chihuahua.

Chihuahua has changed a lot in the ensuing fourteen years, but the underlying motivation is much the same as ever: Chi is an interesting pastime for a retired software developer with an interest in words and language. On top of that, I certainly get satisfaction from the knowledge that quite a few people around the world appreciate the game.

The publication of a new Chihuahua puzzle book is not evidence in favour of philanthropy on my part, as the books actually make me some money. Nevertheless my original motivation in starting the books was to try something new and interesting. In 2015 I marked the fifth anniversary of the books by writing something about how they got started.
Alan Walker

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »
Food for thought.

I am inclined to purchase a book, to support you.
I really enjoy the puzzle ( on most days ).

However I find playing online very desirable ( with record keeping, online dictionary lookup, and so on ).
If you were to include a PayPal 'Make a small donation' button, I would be inclined to show my appreciation that way, rather than buy a hard copy book.

You never know, many hundreds of small donations might build towards a nice result.

Michael

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Michael, like you, I much prefer to play online. But evidently there are quite a lot of people around who have a use for the printed books - people bought two thousand of them last year. The proceeds I get from these sales are not massive, but more than enough to cover the fairly small costs of running the website. And as I've said, I do it for fun. What I'm getting at is, I don't need financial demonstrations of appreciation - I'm chuffed to see hundreds of people playing every day.
Alan Walker

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »
I do it for fun.
I don't need financial demonstrations of appreciation.

Wonderful and honourable sentiments.

Nevertheless, if even a few hundred people each donated say $5 or $10, you could enjoy a really fine dram as a sign of appreciation.

Michael

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »
Thanks for that Alan - you've used your talents well, and it has certainly given me many hours of enjoyment (and frustration!). I hope that helps make it worthwhile - it keeps me out of the club, it certainly helped when my mum died and I like to think it helps keep my brain active. Also it provides points of discussion with my family and I have definitely expanded my vocabulary.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering