Author Topic: Shocking  (Read 2443 times)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Re: Shocking
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 06:52:30 AM »
Weird part is, I predicted this shenanigans back in 2018. Here's the post in question elsewhere from 2018.

EDIT: a more recent post is this one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:55:14 AM by Calilasseia »
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
For my overseas friends:  The strong weight of opinion is the Trump cannot pardon himself.  God knows what other pardons to his family he will issue before he leaves office, but he cannot pardon State level crimes, only Federal. 

Also, God help us if he looses nuclear weapons.  There really aren't many checks and balances on that behavior.  Its always been assumed you would have a sane President or he would be removed quickly by invoking the 25th amendment, but that latter requires a unanimous vote by his cabinet and that is just not going to happen.  Best hope is that the military won't accept the putative "legal" order to nuke Iran (e.g.).

But what is even more shocking to me than the storming of the Capitol (which was even predicted by a number of people) is the number of Republicans who continue to serve their master.  I find that unforgivable.  It is prima facia seditious behavior, IMO.

There is a lot more I would say, but this isn't really the proper forum for it.
Stevens Point, WI

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 02:53:03 AM »
Its always been assumed you would have a sane President or he would be removed quickly by invoking the 25th amendment, but that latter requires a unanimous vote by his cabinet and that is just not going to happen.

The beginning of Section 4 of the 25th amendment does not require a unanimous vote:
Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.