Author Topic: checking before suggesting  (Read 538 times)

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
checking before suggesting
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:52:43 AM »
Dear Alan and Forumites,

I think I should know this already, but I don't:

If a player wants to suggest a word, I know that there's the Word List Suggestions page to check. But is there another 'master' list to check to see if the word in question has already been in- or ex-cluded?

For example, whenever I see 'true' as a possibility, I want to use 'trued' and/or 'truing', using true as a verb, meaning to adjust so as to make true. It's not on the Suggestions list, but I'm hesitant to suggest it in case I've failed to check some other list, and I'm just being annoying.

nineoaks

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: checking before suggesting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:41:50 AM »
Hi nineoaks

Go to the forum home page and select the 'Words' category. Type your word in the search box and see what comes up. It won't necessarily tell you if the word has been accepted or not, but you'll be able to see if it has been suggested.

If you look up 'trued' for example, you'll see that tpc suggested it be made common seven years ago, although it's not possible to determine from that thread if the suggestion was ever taken up.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »
On the Word List Suggestions page there is a row of buttons above the table: "Actioned", "Open", "Not accepted", "All". By default, "Actioned" is selected. If you click on "Open" or "All", you'll be able to see suggestions that have been made but not resolved. Here you would see the suggestion from tpc to make trued common.

Trued and truing are both accepted as rare words, so I presume your suggestion would be that they be treated as common. I have to warn you that my priority scale for word suggestions is:

1. Add word (no "plural" issue)
2. Make rare
3. Make common
4. Accept a word currently regarded as a plural, or treat as plural a word currently accepted

In the last two years only four words have been made common, so it may be a while still before I get around to considering this one.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »
Thank you, Alan and Pat for your prompt and helpful replies.

9O