Author Topic: Are our American players ok?  (Read 1761 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Are our American players ok?
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Saw the awful storms in the US on the news this morning. Hope you are safe and enjoying Christmas Day. It's Boxing Day here where we traditionally go shopping at the sales. Take care no matter where you are! Shopping can be dangerous too!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: Are our American players ok?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:05 AM »
So sorry for the late reply, Jacki. Thanks for your concern. In our little part of the country, Inside the Beltway, we had a bit of rain and wind overnight on Christmas Eve, but these didn't live up to the dire forecast. Our relatives live in parts of the country that were also spared from the storms, so I don't know the extent of it elsewhere. I understand that north and west of us there was a great deal of snow, but these are parts of the country that usually experience this sort of winter weather. No doubt people were inconvenienced if they were planning to visit family.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »
UK also seems to have taken a bit of a battering.
As if they didn't have enough to worry about already - dreadful Covid-19 figures, the plunge into the unknown when the full horrors of the post-Brexit world will soon become evident and another three or four years of Minime Trump aka Boris Johnson.

Alas, poor country.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »
You're right, Mike. At a time of two huge crises,  one completely unnecessary and entirely self-inflicted, we have the worst government in  living memory dealing with them. Inept, liars, with the added bonus of corruption. They long ago acquired the sobriquet "the nasty party" and they've certainly lived up to it. Most governments probably made mistakes in the early days of the virus, but ours refused to learn from its mistakes, repeating them over and over by ignoring scientific advice and doing too little too late. They even authorized a five-day super-spreading christmas, belatedly changed to one day only for many and cancelled altogether for millions. With the number of Covid cases now higher than at the start of the pandemic and christmas infections yet to be taken into account, god knows what January will bring to an already massively over-burdened NHS.

You may have seen that a deal has been struck with the EU. Although it's better than no deal at all it will leave the country much worse off than we were as members of the union. It has to be approved by parliament tomorrow and I imagine that Labour will have no option but to approve it, since it's better than nothing, but I imagine the hard right wing of the Tories will vote against it as it won't be destructive enough for them. Hard to believe that decent folks could even think about voting for people like Johnson and Trump to run their country.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:02:02 PM by pat »

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 04:37:33 AM »
Pat,

Hard to believe that decent folks could even think about voting for people like Johnson and Trump to run their country.

Isn't it?!? But it's real. Sigh...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 05:34:44 AM »
Sorry but the UK alternative was an anti Semitic garden gnome. No I voted for neither of them and yes I accept that people like me are equally culpable by avoiding the choice of one useless idiot over the other one.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »
Sorry but the UK alternative was an anti Semitic garden gnome.

You obviously don't like Corbyn or his policies, cmh, but I'm curious as to why you call him a garden gnome.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
He seemed ore interested in his allotment than being a politician of any seriousness.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
The UK has its major problems, the US has its major problems, but we all must endeavor to persevere.

Food drives etc. beside the point (been there, done that), here is a photo of this year's batch of toys donated to families who need them.

Yes, we still do have some few people working for the common good.  Cheers!
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)