Author Topic: shrive / shriven  (Read 778 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
shrive / shriven
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
re the recent 7-by-many game

Might I be forgiven for asking why shriven is common, while the infinitive shrive is rare?

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: shrive / shriven
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
I confess to now wondering what would be the classification of both shrived & shriving

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
I forgive your asking. I await the reply !! I'm guessing it's just the nature of the beast.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
The fact that two inflections of the same verb are classed differently is not necessarily anomalous. After all, it's only a few days since we made mooting rare, while leaving mooted as a common word.

However in this case I'm not sure that shriven is dramatically more common than shrive - or more common at all. Shrived and shriving are also classed as common. I wonder if they shouldn't all be classed as rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
Shriven is the past participle of shrive. The simple past tense is shrove. According to Wiktionary, shrived is an alternate for both shrove and shriven.

Its meaning relates to the hearing of confessions and absolution of sins, but shriven seems to be used more broadly:

...universities suddenly shriven of colossal overseas-student revenues... [Independent Australia]

Our contemporary morals are so shriven and shrunk. [Scottish Field]

The military has been shriven by spending cuts ... [Guardian]

Fires guttered and went out, shriven by the chill... [Polygon]

The plant leaves and stems will begin to rot, shriven and collapse. [Daily Mail]

The last one is surely meant to be shrivel. Perhaps most of the others should be shriveled. Maybe the first quote ought to have shorn.

If a word is so often misused, it's probably not common. I'm making shriven rare, along with shrived and shriving. As Mike noted, shrive is already rare. I'm also making shrove rare. Shrove Tuesday is probably still a fairly well-known expression, but that's with a capital S. Use of shrove without a capital is very rare, and is usually in the context of an explanation of the origin of the name for Shrove Tuesday.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with you, Alan. The writers of most of these  quotes seem to be confusing shriven and shrivel.

Short shrift to the lot of them!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 07:46:38 AM »
I'm familiar with both shrive and shriven, possibly because I've read a lot of fiction set in the Middle Ages.  I agree with Alan that I've only seen shrove in the phrase Shrove Tuesday.