Author Topic: "What time do you have?"  (Read 11912 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
"What time do you have?"
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:32 AM »
Hi all forum readers,

As a matter of interest [and because my knowledge of time zones is lousy] when the new game starts at midnight GMT, which is the time i go by here in the UK, what time is it where you are, where ever you are?
From,
A puzzled Technomc  ???

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "What time do you have?"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »
Here in melbourne, the new games appear at 11 in the morning at present. But as from this coming Sunday, the time will be 10 am, since we will be going off daylight savings.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

lucylu

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
Hi from Oregon U.S.A.,
We get our new game at 5:00pm.
Its nice for me as I will have just got off of work and I can sit and relax awhile.  ;D

Happy playing
Lucylu

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »
In Texas, we come in at 7 p.m., T. And we're heating up.
 8)
B-B-B

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
It's funny how we have some places in common, T.
I've been to Maine (skiing), and to the Keys - they are AWESOME!!!
New York as well.

Oh, and about Texas. We do have lots of cowboys left, but many of them are just yahoo wannabes. That way of life is starting to erode or morph. The trend in ranching is, that although there are plenty of goats, cattle and sheep, many people buy up large pieces of land (which is relatively cheap compared to California, Japan, etc.) and raise non-native exotic species for hunting. There are seasons (fall/winter) when certain deer like whitetail can be hunted, but for exotics, it's year-round. 
Everyone is coming here from all over the state, country and even the world. It's getting too crowded in the most desirable places, and soon, it might be time to move farther out. I just don't want to go to Alaska, except to visit. Far too cold. BRRRRR. Texas still one of the friendliest places anywhere, though, at least out in the boonies.

See ya-
B-B-B
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:29:19 PM by biggerbirdbrain »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Here, on this very night, it will be one hour later when we awake! We may be a bit more tired, having to wake up earlier and get things done, but ...

though the sun will be dark when we rise, the days will be longer and therefore warmer!

Hurrah!!

Daylight Savings Time returns to the USA!

:-V

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
I get the new game at 7:00 too, Threeb - guess I thought Texas was on Central time.  Or since it's so big, is it split?

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
Yes, birdy - we are all on central time!

I've been getting the game now at 6 p.m. Tomorrow, that will change to 7, I think.

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
Hello technomc

I am in the Eastern time zone of the US.  The game begins here at 7pm.

However,  we are switching to daylight saving time tonight at 2am.  This means that the game will appear tomorrow evening at 8pm.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
Hi there AQ...
All very reasonable times to start a new game....

My new game starts at midnight at the moment....too late really to start, but not late enough to put me off staying up to give it 15 mins or so before i hit the sack....when i clocks change [fairly soon] then it will be 1 a.m.! That does pose a problem then.....
'should i stay or should i go?'  [now they sound like brilliant lyrics for a song!!..]   :-\

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:19:08 AM »
... and a brilliant band they were, too!!  >:D

lucylu

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:35:20 AM »
ok, so this is probably a dumb question
Does everybody world wide do the time change?
I thought it was something we just did here in the U.S.
And my 2 cents on the subject: the time changes need to STOP!! :D
grrrrr I cant stand the disruptions it brings.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:40 AM »
Hi lucylu - here in the UK our clocks go forward by one hour at the end of March and are put back by one hour at the end of October!  Very confusing and I do not like to lose one hour's sleep, even though I get it back again later in the year!  >:D

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:50 AM »
Hello lucylu

In answer to your question as to whether daylight saving time is observed worldwide—

NO.  Countries which lie close to the equator do not have a great variation in their times of sunrise and sunset.  These countries do not observe daylight saving time.

A few large countries in Asia (including India and China) do not observe daylight saving time.
In the US, any state may choose not to observe daylight saving time (currently there are two—Arizona and Hawaii—Hawaii is a lot closer to the equator than all other states).  For a number of years, the state of Indiana (which is close to the dividing line between Eastern and Central time zones) was very conflicted about daylight saving time.  I believe Indiana has just become more unified in observance of daylight saving time.

Daylight saving time has been observed for less than 100 years.  It began around the time of World War I and was originally observed so that less electricity would be used.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:46 AM »
I remember my mother telling me that it was originally called "war time" because it was part of the war effort and was not going to be used after the war was over.