Author Topic: BARROWLOAD  (Read 863 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
BARROWLOAD
« on: December 01, 2020, 03:11:16 PM »
I was disappointed that BARROWLOAD wasn't allowed in yesterday's WALLBOARD 7-by-many, even as a rare word.

If allowed as common it would have been a second word using all the letters.

I realise that it could be spelled as two words - BARROW LOAD - but my instinct would always be to spell it as a single word.

Does anyone else feel the same way? 

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: BARROWLOAD
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
Yes...I was disappointed  that barrowload wasn't common. I was very surprised by the word that cost me a rosette...larboard !!
I know I have limited boat knowledge but I'd never heard of it.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
You both beat me to it.
Should be allowed and should be common.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 03:27:06 PM »
Barrowload turns out to have strong regional variations. In the News on the Web corpus, there are 24 instances of the word in British news reports and a few from Ireland and New Zealand, but absolutely none from the US, Canada or Australia.

The word is mostly used figuratively, for a large quantity. "They went on to dominate the second half, creating a barrowload of opportunities" (UK newspaper the Courier). Or "books that sell by the barrowload" (Bob Geldof).

The word is not listed in any of the dictionaries I consulted, apart from Wiktionary. However, adding -load to a word for a means of transport is a fairly standard construction. We already allow many such compounds: boatload, busload, carload, cartload, etc.

The word is not completely alien to North American writers, but generally used in a literal sense. The citation given by Wiktionary is from Canadian writer Emily Carr: "millions of barrowloads of earth and rocks". And US crime fiction writer Donald Westlake used the word in one of the stories in his collection Thieves' Dozen: "In a Millet over the mantel, a French farmer of the last century endlessly pushed his barrowload of hay through a narrow barn door."

There's no way the word could be accepted as common, given its rarity in American, and Australian, sources, not to mention its absence from almost every dictionary. However I'll accept it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »
Thank you Alan.

I should have suspected something when all three proponents were originally from the UK (I think I'm right in including Moyra in that list).

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »
Totally correct about being born in UK...but I have lived here since 1962 !!  My husband is Brisbane born and bread and he too liked barrowload....

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »
Honestly....I typed bred...really!!!!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Never even noticed until you pointed it out.
Just the other day i was listening to our local race caller giving some tips to an up & comer.
His advice to the young man was that if you ever call a horse incorrectly during a race then never openly reflect on it after the race because all you are doing is reaffirming your mistake with the 10% of listeners who were already aware of your error & telling the other 90% who would have otherwise been blissfully unaware.