Author Topic: word suggestion: doxing  (Read 992 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
word suggestion: doxing
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »
Although the root, dox, is too short, doxing, doxed, and perhaps doxes should be allowed, IMO. I suspect the word is too new for the original word list, but it has become (unfortunately) commonplace today.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion: doxing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
Hi TRex,

I had not heard the term but I asked my son and he said it was common.  It just added to his conviction that I am a dinosaur (hopefully a nice dinosaur).  I looked it up and found Doxing is illegal in Australia?

Doxxing is unlawful and may lead to victims being abused or threatened (even death threats). Doxxing is covered by section 474.17 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code. Section 474.17 makes it an offence to menace, harass, or offend someone using a carriage service. This includes internet and social media.

Anything that is illegal in Australia must be recognised and in all probability would be common. >:D
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
You're quite right, TRex. The word doxing seems to have emerged since the original Chi word list was compiled.

Dox - also doxx - is a respelling of docs, i.e. documents. It relates to personal information about somebody, published online with hostile intent. It can be a noun, referring to the information, or a verb, for the act of releasing such information. Hence doxes, doxed, doxing... and doxxes, doxxed, doxxing.

Information revealed might include the person's address, workplace, car number plate, children's school, etc. Usually the purpose of doxing is to intimidate. I think there have been cases where people have been physically attacked in their homes, sometimes fatally. I'm not sure whether the Australian law mentioned by Ozzyjack provides complete protection against doxing.

The word is listed by the online dictionaries from Merriam-Webster and Oxford, both of which note the alternate, double-X, spelling. Merriam-Webster dates the word to 2009. There are plenty of examples in news reports from recent years. A recent one from Forbes on 9 December:

A black lawmaker in Michigan said Sunday she received phone calls threatening to dox and lynch her after she condemned her Republican colleagues for accommodating Giuliani at a voter fraud hearing.

The double-X spelling seems to be slightly more common. An example of this, also from 9 December, on the CNET website:

The changes make several aspects of Twitch's current policy clearer and more explicit, banning actions like encouraging people to doxx another user, repeatedly commenting on someone's physical appearance if you've been asked to stop, or displaying the Confederate flag.

I'll add, as rare words, doxed, doxes, doxing, doxx, doxxes, doxxed and doxxing.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »
Thanks, Alan. That might be the fastest approval of a word I've ever had!  :D

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
But funnily enough you'll never play them TRex cause they're rare!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
I hate to say it, Alan, but you may be changing the dox/doxx words to common sometimes soon.  I am seeing more and more uses of it in these troubling political times.

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
But funnily enough you'll never play them TRex cause they're rare!

Well, not as TRex!  ;)

I hate to say it, Alan, but you may be changing the dox/doxx words to common sometimes soon.  I am seeing more and more uses of it in these troubling political times.

Even one case of doxing is too much, imo, and I hope it dies out. But I fear you're right, Birdy.  >:(