Author Topic: Spoiler Nov. 18 Challenge  (Read 2461 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler Nov. 18 Challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
People seem to be very worried about Alan and how much time he spends on maintaining and researching the Chihuahua site.
So to be honest I think it's pretty dicey to make a word up and do what you did.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
As far as I can see, no one made a word up.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 02:48:20 AM »
I guess, Jacki, your post is directed at me.

I'll just say that, as Pat has pointed out, I did not make up a word.

I only created a phrase which I thought illustrated a possible usage of the word under discussion.

As I could now, for example, write, 'Behold, Ennéa Valanidiés seated beside the stream, weeping, beclad in the scarlet cloak of shame, beseeching the gods for forgiveness for her hubristic act of creation.'

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 06:50:39 AM »
I guess when I read -"Sorry Alan I made it up" - that it spoke for itself. So sorry - I've obviously missed something.  😀
I will just add I'd come home from our work Christmas party that started 6 hours earlier so I'd be grateful if you'd put my comments in context 😜😱
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:14:49 AM by Jacki »

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
Gosh, I hope it was a GREAT party!

Any apology should come from me for being unclear.

Let's hope I've learned my lesson.

Best Wishes to all Chi-sters!

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
You're a good sport! And yes it was a great Christmas party. It's been such a difficult year and tragic for so many people. I count my blessings.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what your point is, lily's field, but your post contains two spoilers for an active puzzle. Those who prefer not to open spoilers until the puzzle is closed would have had no warning as the original post contained a spoiler for a puzzle on the 18th.

This has rankled me ever since the day it was written. The puzzles in question are long over, but the situation it represents will occur again in the future. The alleged spoilers were not part of the solution set for the puzzle referred to in the subject. Indeed, the puzzle with the alleged spoilers appeared three days after the subject puzzle. Lily's field did not make any mention of which puzzle the alleged spoilers might be appearing in; she did edit her post to indicate which puzzle it was in response to the spoiler allegation. I do not believe that lily's field did anything improper.

There are many players who play only one or two puzzles daily. If they want to post in the forum, are they then required to solve the other puzzles they don't play, just to ensure that all words they use in their posts are not part of the solution sets for those puzzles? Absurd.

I am sure there are many forum entries since the beginning of Chihuahua that contain the answers to one or more active puzzle games. Since current forum posts often link back to posts from prior years, is the poster then required to follow all the back links to ensure that there are no spoilers in the prior posts linked to? Beyond absurd.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 07:03:18 AM »
I have to agree with you, rogue_mother, your somewhat confused post truly is beyond absurd although I'm flattered that you've been rankled for a month about one of mine. How marvellous that you've been able to keep quiet about it for this long - admirable self-control. Well, up until today anyway.

Lilys field correctly identified her initial post as a spoiler for the puzzle on November 18th. Since her post seemed to confuse people she made a second post on November 21st attempting to clarify it in which she mentioned skivvies and penis, two words that could be played in a puzzle on that day, the 21st. Since the subject header mentioned the 18th, those people, of whom I am one, who prefer to get the words for themselves rather than read them in a thread, would have had no hesitation in reading the post. Lilys field herself apologized for her mistake.

I realize that you have an intense dislike for the 'spoiler police' but I can assure you that I have no intention of declining to comment on spoilers should I feel like doing so. I make no apology if that annoys you.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is, lily's field, but your post contains two spoilers for an active puzzle. Those who prefer not to open spoilers until the puzzle is closed would have had no warning as the original post contained a spoiler for a puzzle on the 18th.

This has rankled me ever since the day it was written. The puzzles in question are long over, but the situation it represents will occur again in the future. The alleged spoilers were not part of the solution set for the puzzle referred to in the subject. Indeed, the puzzle with the alleged spoilers appeared three days after the subject puzzle. Lily's field did not make any mention of which puzzle the alleged spoilers might be appearing in; she did edit her post to indicate which puzzle it was in response to the spoiler allegation. I do not believe that lily's field did anything improper.

There are many players who play only one or two puzzles daily. If they want to post in the forum, are they then required to solve the other puzzles they don't play, just to ensure that all words they use in their posts are not part of the solution sets for those puzzles? Absurd.

I am sure there are many forum entries since the beginning of Chihuahua that contain the answers to one or more active puzzle games. Since current forum posts often link back to posts from prior years, is the poster then required to follow all the back links to ensure that there are no spoilers in the prior posts linked to? Beyond absurd.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »

Lilys field correctly identified her initial post as a spoiler for the puzzle on November 18th. Since her post seemed to confuse people she made a second post on November 21st attempting to clarify it in which she mentioned skivvies and penis, two words that could be played in a puzzle on that day, the 21st. Since the subject header mentioned the 18th, those people, of whom I am one, who prefer to get the words for themselves rather than read them in a thread, would have had no hesitation in reading the post. Lilys field herself apologized for her mistake.

I realize that you have an intense dislike for the 'spoiler police' but I can assure you that I have no intention of declining to comment on spoilers should I feel like doing so. I make no apology if that annoys you.

I maintain that what Lily's field posted in her attempted clarification was not truly a spoiler. I maintain that the only reason you knew that the words she mentioned could be spoilers was because you had already played them, thus making them not spoilers. I maintain that anyone who had not already played the puzzle in question would not likely have recognized that those words could be played.

As a person who only plays two games per day, I am not going to try to solve the other two active puzzles before I post in the forum in an attempt to avoid posting any words that might be in their respective solution sets, nor do I expect others to do it. This is relevant because Lily's field's original post was about the Challenge puzzle and her attempted clarification referred to words from the 7-by-many puzzle. I am also not going to scan anything I link to in my posts just in case there might be spoilers.

The spoiler police have an appropriate function. There are definitely times that certain posts need to be labeled as spoilers. I will continue to speak out when I believe people have been inappropriately accused of posting spoilers, and I expect that you and I will continue to disagree on the scope of what constitutes a spoiler.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 08:07:58 PM »

I maintain that what Lily's field posted in her attempted clarification was not truly a spoiler. I maintain that the only reason you knew that the words she mentioned could be spoilers was because you had already played them, thus making them not spoilers. I maintain that anyone who had not already played the puzzle in question would not likely have recognized that those words could be played.

You can 'maintain' as much as you like, but I'm afraid you'd be wrong, at least as far as it applies to me. I'd played penis but not skivvies, but as soon as I saw the latter I realized that it was a word that could be played, possibly because of the unusual combination of letters. I can't speak for other players any more than you can and wouldn't attempt to.

As a person who only plays two games per day, I am not going to try to solve the other two active puzzles before I post in the forum in an attempt to avoid posting any words that might be in their respective solution sets, nor do I expect others to do it. This is relevant because Lily's field's original post was about the Challenge puzzle and her attempted clarification referred to words from the 7-by-many puzzle. I am also not going to scan anything I link to in my posts just in case there might be spoilers.

I don't know why you again feel the need to say you're not going to do these things as no one is suggesting that you do. As has already been established, the suggestion is absurd. Anyone could inadvertently mention in a post a word playable in an active puzzle. The difference with Lilys field's post was that she specifically mentioned two words playable in an open puzzle. I'm surprised you can't see that.

... and I expect that you and I will continue to disagree on the scope of what constitutes a spoiler.

We certainly agree on that!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:29:10 PM by pat »

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 04:27:56 AM »
And to all
A good night

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile