Author Topic: Election Day 2020  (Read 3833 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: Election Day 2020
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:19 PM »
That's a scary thought Pat.
As usual, i was really only joking at the ridiculous notion that an incumbent president could actually give himself a pardon for any offences committed during his term.
Hopefully he will take one giant step to the moon & stay there because there is already talk that he will take another run at the next election & given that he has only lost this one by a few million votes then that is an even scarier thought.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
Oh Damn, another good story ruined by the facts :-[
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 01:34:29 AM »
And to think that this monster, or one of his equally monstrous offspring, is likely to be back in four years' time to have another go at sowing discord and running the country for the benefit of the Trump family. That's assuming the whole lot of them don't end up in prison where they belong.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2020, 07:46:21 AM »
Pat, such hatred rots the soul. We need to be responsible for our own actions, thoughts and opinions and not be too ready to demonise and condemn others.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
Thanks, Tom, but I wouldn't change a word of what I wrote. Trump has spent the last four years earning the right to be condemned and demonized. I think more than a few people would agree with me.

All I'll add is that he has no grounds for complaint regarding the election result. He urged voters to vote to make America great again and that's exactly what they did.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »
Pat, such hatred rots the soul. We need to be responsible for our own actions, thoughts and opinions and not be too ready to demonise and condemn others.
Three thoughts:

[1]  There is a difference between hatred and justified criticism. I'll back Pat in for justified criticism.

[2] The man who refuses to judge, who neither agrees nor disagrees, who declares that there are no absolutes and believes that he escapes responsibility, is the man responsible for all the blood that is now spilled in the world.― Ayn Rand

[3] The precept: “Judge not, that ye be not judged” . . . is an abdication of moral responsibility: it is a moral blank check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank check one expects for oneself. There is no escape from the fact that men have to make choices; so long as men have to make choices, there is no escape from moral values; so long as moral values are at stake, no moral neutrality is possible. To abstain from condemning a torturer, is to become an accessory to the torture and murder of his victims.― Ayn Rand

Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »
I would not cite Ayn Rand as an authority on morality and decency. Far from it.

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
Trump was true to what he said he would do; he restored the economy, he lifted employment across the social divide [remainder cut]

I'm not going to address but this one claim.

The non-partisan Economic Policy Institute released a study in August: Trump's trade policies have cost thousands of U.S. manufacturing jobs

Farmers are in far worse shape than they were four years ago.

Here's a CNBC article: Wisconsin Foxconn plant hailed by Trump hasn’t hired enough people to get tax credits

There are plenty more stories like this. Trump is a master salesman — of snake oil.

juliea

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Doesn't the American Elections remind you of Georg Orwell's Animal Farm?
Just wondering ???

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
And, of course, Pat you have the right to hold your opinion. I would defend that right. My comment was intended in a careful and caring sense about what hatred of another human being can do to us when we allow space in our hearts for such hatred. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »
I would not cite Ayn Rand as an authority on morality and decency. Far from it.

Many moons ago, back when dinosaurs ruled the world, my rugby coach gave me a precept to live by, "Son, play the ball and not the man".

I had not heard of Alisa Zinovyevna Rosenbaum until I went looking for someone more articulate than me to express the concepts I had in mind.  I liked and agreed with the quotes.

Apparently I picked a wrong'un.  What have you got against her, TRex?
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
Apparently I picked a wrong'un.  What have you got against her, TRex?

She promoted as good things like greed, selfishness (one of her books was titled The Virtue of Selfishness), and egoism. That would be enough for most people. I also find her unacceptable because she was an extreme materialistic rationalist.