Author Topic: Prevalence of words in US and UK  (Read 3110 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prevalence of words in US and UK
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
To conclude this exercise, I'm making the following words rare - words that are much better known to Brits than Americans:

tombola
chipolata
dodgem
gazump
gazumped
gazumping
kerbside
judder
juddered
juddering
chiropody
chiropodist
quango
chaffinch
chaffinches
escalope

Some of these words are fairly well known in Australia. Here is a link to the Matchbox Band performing Chiropodist Shop (Shoe, Shoe).
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
Are chaffinches really not known 'on the other side of the pond'?

What say you, Pat?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
I don't think I'm the right person to ask that question of, Mike. The chaffinch doesn't occur in the Americas but I don't know if people would have heard of it or not. I suspect some might not if they have no interest in birds.

Maybe its categorization should be the same as chickadee's, a bird common in the US but unknown over here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:39:11 PM by pat »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2020, 10:43:32 PM »

Maybe its categorization should be the same as chickadee's, a bird common in the US but unknown over here.

Or the Bluebird. not known in UK yet expected soon to be flying 'over the White Cliffs of Dover'

Anyway, for all those who don't know the chaffinch, here he is. Even Linda will have to say how pretty he is?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 11:12:09 PM »
I've seen worse, Mike!  >:D  At least it's not mahoosive like the heron I often see on my way to work; I give that a very wide berth which fortunately isn't difficult as it is usually perched on a large stone in the river and I'm crossing over the bridge but I keep my eye on it just in case it decides to fly in my direction!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 02:15:09 AM »
Herons are a nuisance Linda aside from giving you the heebie-jeebies!  If people don't cover their fish ponds then they soon find themselves fishless :(  My neighbour lost all his goldfish even with a net over his pond!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 05:21:28 AM »
There are a number of herons that live on the riverside which we can see from the apartment window. They are a joy to watch throughout the year. Amazing hunters & wonderful to watch in flight.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
We have red kites which have migrated to us from south Bucks.  They are also amazing to watch.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
A very pretty bird Mike.  Ah yes, Pen, fish ponds and birds!  In Australia, the kookaburras will dive-bomb people's ponds and eat all the fish (understandable really seeing as they're members of the kingfisher family) .  Our other horrors are the sulphur-crested cockatoos who, apart from being horribly noisy, will completely destroy any timber construction you have around your house.  The introduced species (like the Asian myna, sparrows and even blackbirds) are considered pests downunder.  We live on eight acres adjacent the Blue Mountains National Park just outside Sydney and have identified over 80 different (native) species on our little patch alone.  And I love them all.  If you ever come to Australia, Linda, I suggest you stay well clear of our place!  And bring a hazmat suit!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:13:35 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:07 PM »
Sounds amazing Val - you're very lucky.  If I came to stay I would have to bring some binoculars & enjoy some twitching!  We only get blackbirds, sparrows, pigeons, magpies, crows & the occasional blue tit actually in our garden.  We used to get a thrush now & then but I can't remember when I last saw one.  One of my near neighbours chopped down a large very bushy tree a year or 2 back & I wonder if that made a difference.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »
It has been many years since i have seen an Ibis scavenging through the bins at our local shops. Apparently their urban population has decreased dramatically & nobody can explain why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
As an American I know the word chaffinch, but I have never seen one.  Very pretty.
Stevens Point, WI

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 06:51:14 PM »
Biggest bird I've been up close and personal with is the Mute Swan. Full grown ones are huge. This is a bird whose body size is comparable to a Labrador. And it has huge feet.

Though the one bird that really impressed me with its size, was the now extinct fossil Teratorn. Which, when alive, was a giant vulture with a 20 foot wingspan. Someone provided a reconstruction of what this bird was like in life at a museum, and it's basically a Mastiff with wings. You know you're dealing with a special bird species, when you realise its wingspan is comparable to that of a small light aircraft ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...