Author Topic: TARTLY / TARTILY  (Read 359 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
TARTLY / TARTILY
« on: October 07, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
G'day Alan, my query is from Tuesday's 7 by many game which left me feeling a bit sour.
I played tarty ( common )
I played tartily ( rare )
Inexplicably (& only the chi gods know why) i failed to play tartly.( common ) & that cost me a rosette.
I appreciate that tartly & tartily have very different meanings but fail to see why they have different classifications?
So the question that i am asking is would you consider it reasonable for tartly to be downgraded to rare?
Of all the common words played 17 others had a higher hit rate than tartly which was found by 135 players.
Just 2 other common words came in with a lower score & tartily was only found by 90 players.
I do realise that the the scoreboard carries little weight in your decisions but i feel it should be given some consideration.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: TARTLY / TARTILY
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
Hi Les. You say you 'inexplicably' failed to play tartly which suggests that you didn't spot the word, not that you don't know it. If Alan starts downgrading words because people miss them we'll soon have no common words left! Sorry, being facetious there, but I can't see any reason at all why tartly should be made rare just because tartily is.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:16:54 PM by pat »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: TARTLY / TARTILY
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:23 PM »
G'day Pat, i failed to play tartly because i did not know the word also never heard of tartily however because i " guessed " tartily i was disappointed with myself that i did not try tartly. Perhaps i should have asked for tartily to be upgraded. >:D
To be honest, i think that i only posted out of frustration of missing the rosette.
I struggle to find a rosette in most games but find it all the more difficult to achieve in the 7 by many format.
No doubt that Alan will be reading this so i withdraw my challenge on both words.
Thanks Pat, for making me see some sense.