Author Topic: Belated hello & welcome  (Read 2052 times)

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Belated hello & welcome
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »
Les, I have now been 'guilted' into filling in my location in my profile.  Thanks for the nudge!!  So subtle...

Jack, gosh you must have just got into QLD in time before the border shutdown.  Do you like it up there??

Valerie - lucky you on acreage in Wenty Falls!  We are lucky to live in this amazing area aren't we, where the weather is always a hot topic.  Did you get snow in August??  We have some nice falls here in Katoomba.

Birdy - please take care.  Wow your city has been through so much but you seem to have a pretty sensible mayor at least.  An interesting year for you in the US in so many ways. Our thoughts and hopes are with you :)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
Les, I have now been 'guilted' into filling in my location in my profile.  Thanks for the nudge!!  So subtle...

Good on you, now players from all over the world will be able to simply click on your username on the scoreboard to see exactly who they are playing with & i'm sure that they will be delighted to see that it is Linda from the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, Australia... how nice is that!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 07:06:15 PM »
New York went through hell when the virus first spread

Oh birdy please do continue to take every precaution to stay safe.
Australia has not been immune from the virus but in comparison to the rest of the world we have been very lucky.
I watch the evening news broadcast relating the horrendous death tolls in America, Spain, England, Russia,  Brazil, Greece, Italy etc. & my heart goes out to you all.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
Hi Linda
We did receive snow but it wasn't enough for me to dig out my skis for some schussing!  We are indeed very lucky to live in our little bit of paradise although it's such a pity that the fires destroyed so many of our beautiful walking tracks.  Also, the awful destruction of habitat has meant that we are receiving lots of wildlife coming into the property to be fed and watered.  But they are our most welcome visitors in these stressful CoVid times.  I may never leave home again!  If I happen to run into a guilty looking pleasure seeker up in Katoomba, I will bail them up and ask if they are Linda.  Stay alert!  Cheers Val
I'll sleep in my next life

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
Did you notice Stan's Rosette in yesterdays 7 by many, lock down must be agreeing with him.
Seriously though Stanley, i do hope that you are coping ok.
Is it still the end of October before they start re - opening?

I'm pleased that you remember me sweetie. Lockdown is fairly boring but I do the Age and Herald Sun Target puzzles competing against my wife and the 7by many. I have also introduced my sister IreneF and my great-niece maples to the game. I generally have trouble keeping up with them as they are good Scrabble players. I do 3 Spanish crosswords each day on the LexusRex website. The Creator is a Queenslander who doesn't speak any of the languages of the crosswords and puzzles that he creates. I do two U3a classes of Spanish each week by zoom and do 1 hour walk each day to a local park. I only see my daughter by zoom as she is a nurse in a covid ward so she keeps away from us unless she has had a recent negative test. Son lived with us before Lockdown but he was worried that he could catch it on the train and bring it home so he shifted to his partner's place.

There have been so many changes to when we get out of lockdown that I will wait until they say I can go out but I think I will still be wearing a mask anywhere. That seems to be a good way of avoiding catching it. I find it strange that the non-mask wearers get upset about having to wear masks but not about having to wear clothes.

I have only been to Bunnings once this year and my last haircut was December. I meant to have one but the lockdown caught me out.  For most of lockdown we have had our groceries delivered.

Our visitors are birds; I feed lorikeets in the morning when I collect the paper, we have magpies, butcher birds and noisy mynas come to the front porch, Currawongs, ravens, and noisy mynas come to the back porch.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:10:14 PM by yelnats »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 02:54:23 AM »
Birdy - please take care.  Wow your city has been through so much but you seem to have a pretty sensible mayor at least.  An interesting year for you in the US in so many ways. Our thoughts and hopes are with you :)

Actually, I think our mayor is a bit of a dingbat, but the state's governor was really good.  He did make some mistakes, but considering what we all knew about the virus at the beginning, he made a lot more good decisions than many other political leaders.  I wish the other states had paid attention to how New York was finally able to bring the numbers down, but there seem to be a lot of people who see this as a political issue rather than a medical one. Too bad: if the governors/political leaders around the country had encouraged/required masks, distancing, testing, etc. the economy might actually have had a chance to recover before the new outbreaks escalated.

And now the fires on our west coast - here I am about 2500 miles/4000 kilometres away, and our skies are overcast on this sunny day because the smoke has reached us.  Not a good year.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
" No worries, cobber, I won't call you sweetie again! "

If its another clue Stan then i give up as i couldn't find the word.

I think that & lot of people will be glad to see the end of 2020, i guess the only silver lining is that when everything does eventually get back to normal we will all have a greater appreciation of the simple things in life that we once took for granted.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 10:18:41 PM »
p.s. The 8 pm curfew would be hard if I didn't fall asleep on the couch at 7:30.

:-Z :-Z :-Z

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 09:51:50 PM »
Jack, gosh you must have just got into QLD in time before the border shutdown.  Do you like it up there??

Hi Linda,

When they first closed the border, passes were available to people who were actively planning to move to Queensland.

I do like it here.  The people are friendly, the weather is warmer, and one arm of our family is closer.

Perhaps the only draw back is that we have moved into an area where there seem to be a lot of people on the far right of politics.  So I will have to learn to be careful about how I express my views - something I have not had much practice at. >:D
Regards, Jack

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »
Hi Jack,

Commiserations on the political scene up your way!  One of the nicest aspects of the blue mountains is the progressiveness of the majority of the population.  Your upcoming state election should be quite interesting ....

Val,

I hope we bump into each other one day!  It would be great to actually meet another Chi devotee  :)

cheers
Linda