Author Topic: Araçari/aracari  (Read 493 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Araçari/aracari
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
The araçari is a medium-sized toucan of the neotropics,  not at all uncommon. The correct spelling has a cedilla under the c but it's often spelt without one (causing confusion over its pronunciation). A candidate for inclusion? (Rejected by the cigarillo puzzle.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:27:37 PM by pat »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: Araçari/aracari
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:08:26 PM »
So two " birds " were rejected in the cigarillo game?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
This word is found in quite a few of the online dictionaries. It's mentioned from time to time in newspapers, such as in this passage from a 2017 travel article about Panama in the Globe and Mail (Toronto):

"Look now," he says, as two collared aracari – a type of toucan with large, bright bills – land on the bananas by the feeder, followed by three more. "That's a beautiful bird," he says, zooming in on one with his powerful scope for us to admire better.

It will be accepted in future.

When you say it's not at all uncommon, pat, I don't know if you mean the word or the bird, but for Chi purposes the word will be rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
Thanks, Alan. I meant the bird is not uncommon but its name is probably not that well known outside the birding community, apart from possibly on the continent where it's found.

Here's my favourite photo of three collared araçaris in Costa Rica.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
Great picture of the three collared aracari (cedilla-less) on the branch. I've seen them but never three together.