Author Topic: Snogger  (Read 792 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Snogger
« on: September 01, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
'Snog' is accepted as a rare word, apparently because it's only well known in the UK. 'Snogger' is equally well known so I'd like to suggest it for inclusion as a rare word (rejected in a recent 7-by-many puzzle).

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Snogger
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
It is also used in Australia. I too tried snogger...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
"Snogger" sounds like a word that would be chosen as a NATO reporting name for a Warsaw Pact surface to surface missile ... :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »
It is also used in Australia. I too tried snogger...

As if Australia does not have enough of its own reality TV shows, we also import them from both the USA & the UK & goodness knows where else. i seem to remember seeing some snippets of a UK show called Geordie Girls ( i might have that name wrong ) it is similar to a show that is called Big Brother here in Australia. We even had a pommy sheila from that show featuring in another of our reality shows called ' i'm a celebrity - get me out of here ".  I have no idea where any of theses reality shows originated but they all seem to have a common theme & as soon as one of them rates well in one country then multiple local versions are created in many other countries.
Personally, i do not find any of these reality shows particularly entertaining & it astonishes me how they keep rating so well & they just keep churning them out season after season.
Anyway my point is that if for no other reason than due to the influence of these reality shows ; snog, snogger & snogging should actually be considered for reclassification as common words due to the fact that these shows are broadcast to so many countries  all around the world.
While there are many more popular local terms to describe these actions, i don't think that you would find to many people anywhere who would not enjoy a good snogging.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:04:27 AM »
Oh Les I think the show you're thinking of might be Geordie Shaw.  We have a multitude of these awful reality TV shows.  The Only Way is Essex, Made in Chelsea & I'm a Celebrity Get Out of Here & Big Brother.  To name but a few.  Never seen any of them thank heavens.  When it first started I enjoyed Strictly Come Dancing.  Even that went to the dogs & I haven't watched it for 4 or 5 years now.
Oh & I forgot the dreadful Love Island.  Full of plastic posers if what I've read in the press is anything to go by :( These programmes seem to make people famous just for the sake of being famous.  As far as I can tell they don't seem to have any discernible talent.  Sorry rant over!! 
I prefer kissing to snogging.  Does that make me a bit old fashioned? :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
Making out in America, Pashing in Australia, Snogging in England.
I agree Pen, the " old fashioned " term of kissing sounds much nicer than any of the above.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
I've always cringed at the term "pash". It's so bogan and juvenile. Kissing is much sexier.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
Making out in America, Pashing in Australia, Snogging in England.
I agree Pen, the " old fashioned " term of kissing sounds much nicer than any of the above.

Kissing and snogging are two completely different activities!  >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »
Snogger is in the online Oxford, although the entry says only "see snog". It's also in Wiktionary.

I'll accept that it's a word, but I'm not convinced it's a candidate for common word, even leaving aside the regional issue. Admittedly, I don't have access to a language corpus derived from reality TV shows. The only such show that I watched for a couple of seasons was the Australian version of Masterchef - I'm pretty sure the word snogger was never used on that.

In the News on the Web corpus there are 21 instances of snogger, but all bar three of those are quoting the actor Emerald Fennell, who said of her casting as Camilla in The Crown:

I absolutely love Camilla, and am very grateful that my teenage years have well prepared me for playing a chain-smoking serial snogger with a pudding bowl hair cut.

One of the other three quotes, from the Daily Mail, was:

Perhaps we should not be surprised that the union of Irons, described, somewhat euphemistically perhaps, by friends as a' serial snogger', and Miss Cusack, 61, has long been rumoured to be an' open marriage'.

It seems serial snogger has become a journalistic term hinting at something more amorous. Another set phrase may be frog-snogger, at least to the extent that it appears in two book titles: Princess Frog-Snogger (2016), by Tommy Donbavand, and The Frog Snoggers Guide: A Guide to Getting Along with Toads (2009), by Susan Lancaster and Shane Orford.

The OED traces the use of snog back to 1945 and snogger back to 1965, but the earlier citations suggest a broader meaning: any kind of courtship or cuddling. The current meaning seems to be exclusively passionate kissing.

Regarding the different connotations of snog and kiss, the Separated by a Common Language blog related in 2010 how someone, presumably American, having learnt on a dictionary's Facebook page that snog is a British word for kiss, posted, "I'm gonna go snog my kids.........*snog* (love it!)" As the blogger, Lynne Murphy, concluded, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Anyhow, I'll add snogger to our accepted words, as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
Thanks, Alan. Is snogging already accepted?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »
Yes, snogging and snogged both accepted.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites