Author Topic: Fistula and fistulae common?  (Read 401 times)

Jacki

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Fistula and fistulae common?
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
In Saturday's Challenge game with FACULTIES as the seed word I had a long battle trying and failing to get a rosette! I love a challenge and was keen to see what I missed. Now I know lots will say they're familiar with this word and its plural however I'm not sure I've even heard of it let alone it passing the pub test. 
I don't even know if I've seen it before in Chihuahua. I vote fistula and fistulae gets reclassified from common to rare.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Fistula and fistulae common?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with you, Jacki.
I have seen the word before [probably in a crossword]. I vaguely knew it was something to do with medicine and surgery, but like so many similar terms I would not have been able to explain to a class of 16-18 year-old students exactly what it was. [That is my personal test of whether I am 'familiar with' a word or not.]

Any Chi solver with a background or training in medicine or nursing  will almost certainly consider it common, but what percentage of us is that? At a guess, between 10%-15%.

Probably not an ideal topic for breakfast time, but while checking fistula on Wikipedia I came across a reference to perineal fistula.
Hand on heart, how many Chi solvers who don't have a medical background could say exactly where their perineum is?

This word too is common on Chi and in fact appeared in a fairly recent game.

Jacki

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
I know about perineums cause of childbirth. So maybe it's more common for childbearing women. Not so for fistula/fistulae.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
That's probably true, although men of course also have a perineum!

The word actually appeared in a 10-letter game [imprudence ]a few weeks ago. On that occasion it was played by 28 from 312 [less than 10%].
The only reason I can remember this is that I made a note to query the word's common status on the forum, but I never got round to it.
I think it was about the same time that I was having problems accessing Chi on my desktop PC.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
Well I got fistula but not fistulae.  But then I also didn't get faculties  :-R
I don't have any medical training but I've heard of fistula in relation to childbirth, and perineum in that context.  I do know where  mine is  :laugh:
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Jacki

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:52:13 PM »
Well that gave me a sorely needed laugh!

Calilasseia

• Paronomaniac
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 02:54:47 PM »
Though of course, anyone enduring one won't be laughing ... :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
Many Australians and New Zealanders will know fistula(s) from the work of Catherine Hamlin in Ethiopia...

https://hamlin.org.au/

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 06:16:20 AM »
I don't remember seeing the word on a regular basis, but since I had one for over 30 years, I certainly know the word well.  In spite of two surgeries, I had a constant oral abscess, which, to the amazement of everyone who heard about it, never bothered me.  The abscess kept getting infected, but since there was a fistula, it drained, and never built up pressure to cause pain. So they are not always bad.

TRex

• Glossologian
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
I'm very familiar with the singular form because my much better half was born with a tracheoesophageal fistula which necessitated a cross-country flight to undergo an operation at the age of four days. I got the word, she did not. And when I read out fistula, she let out a hoot and expressed dismay at having missed it. (I guessed at the plural form.)