General Category > Words

Vesper

(1/2) > >>

Jacki:
In Wednesday's Standard game, seed word PERVASIVE, I played Vesper and it's not common, and I always seem to forget this. Although after writing this post it will probably help me to remember it is not common! And yet I think VESPERS is common.  When you press on the word for the meaning it says the bell that  summons worshippers to vespers, the vesper bell.

TRex:
Seems correct to me. According to Ngram Viewer with an 's' on the end (whether with an initial cap or not) is more common than without it.

Jacki:
Oh yes I'm not saying it's not correct. I'm just rambling really about how I keep playing the word and then kick myself. Vesper sounds like the motorcycle too, although I think that's spelt Vespa?

mkenuk:
Vespa in Italian means wasp.

Probably somebody at the time thought that the sound of the scooter resembled the buzzing of a wasp.

Vesper on the other hand is Latin for 'Evening Star'. Vespers in the old church schedule were the prayers said in the early evening, roughly the time that the 'star' appeared in the sky.

birdy:
I'm more familiar with the plural form - because of the church service schedule - than the singular, though I do know the word as part of the common name of the vesper sparrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version