Author Topic: Tarte?  (Read 7410 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Tarte?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »
We have touched on 'dogging' before...well not us personally, i mean in the chi sense...
And we have some very nice little doggies wandering about, with their owners with their doggie bags...
 :angel:

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 06:46:29 AM »
Re dogging:
I just bought a book called "Dogging it in the Mid-Atlantic" listing the pathetic few places where you can take your dogie for a walk with slightly less than the normal risk of being told to put that animal on a leash. It's a new usage to me.
Mancks

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
The word 'dogging' here is used for a very nasty hobby that hit the headlines a couple of years ago....
several TV personalities and football players were quite publicly humiliated by it...Not nice..

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spoiler--common v. uncommon
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 12:45:10 PM »
O GAGL:

Am I noticing a Down Under bias in what is considered common? "Dingo" is common while "Dogy" is not. Up here in Ohio--even in Ohio, which is not the Wild West--Dogy is more common than Dingo.

Phooey.

E

Yes, E, there is a Down Under bias, and I'm not proud of it! Previous instances brought to light include, I think, nong, drongo and toey. I have vowed to review the common/rare word boundary, to eliminate some of the more blatant anomalies.

However, I'm not sure if I agree about dingo cf dogy/dogie. A Google search on dingo gets about 4.8 million results, whereas dogy gets 363,000 and dogie gets 146,000.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »
Must be the Aussies' version of Google you keep looking at ... >:D