General Category > Whatever

Anti-covid face masks

(1/4) > >>

mkenuk:
I'm surprised, reading the UK newspapers on line, that there is so much debate about whether wearing face-masks serves any useful purpose or not in the fight against covid-19..
Here in Thailand everybody wears a mask in public and, while there is no law about it, it is a fact that you won't be able to get on a bus or train or go into a supermarket, bank or any other public building without one.

Fortunately for those who live here, Thailand seems to have escaped very lightly in terms of numbers of fatalities.
Perhaps wearing face-masks is not the reason for there being so few deaths, but I can't see that it has done any harm;

it's certainly preferable to self-medicating with household bleach - or, indeed, any of the other moronic suggestions that those who should know better have come up with!

pat:
From what I can make out the general opinion seems to be that face masks are most effective at protecting others from the people wearing them. Some people are wearing them, some aren't. There's a concern that if they're made compulsory there will be a shortage for the people who most need them, e.g. care workers. I suspect that once we start to move out of lockdown they may be required in the sort of places you mention, Mike. Although with our government's inept handling of the crisis, who knows?

Dragonman:
The biggest question about face masks is where can you get them without being ripped off.

mkenuk:
I can only speak for Thailand, but they are on sale everywhere for about 30 baht upwards - that's about one dollar US, about 75p UK.

Failing that, you can make your own.

What you make might not meet WHO standards for 'front-line' doctors and nurses, but it will serve its purpose.

Jacki:
In Australia the medical advice from the government doctors is to not wear a mask unless you have the virus. I must say that I'm very proud of how Australians have responded and how well we are doing given the virus is so easily spread and it takes weeks before symptoms show, (if at all).
I'm very grateful I live here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version