Author Topic: Stay safe driving in icy or wet conditions.  (Read 10322 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Stay safe driving in icy or wet conditions.
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:35:10 AM »
My daughter in law sent this to me today. Even though it's completely off anything to do with the forum, I thought some people (esp. down under, since it's winter there), and anywhere during a hard rain, could use this tip. (I hope our GAGL doesn't mind!  :))

A female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!
 When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.
 But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.
 The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY.
 NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Stay safe driving in icy or wet conditions.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks for that threeb..
Not an issue i have to deal with though..i don't have cruise control on my car.
But a good warning to all that do.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
Thanks -- this was my public service for the day. I just hope if this helps anyone stay alive, it's definitely worth it!

Plus, it's a great idea to tell younger, less-experienced drivers as well!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38:08 AM »
How's the weather down under today, my Aussie/NZ pals?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
Threeb, I'm utterly outraged that you should introduce an irrelevant topic into this forum! Prior to this, every single post has been rigorously focused on the core issues of the site.

(Seriously, though, the "Whatever" board is intended for "anything else you want to talk about".) 
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »
Well, Alan, I just thought -- as some politicians like to say -- it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  >:D

Hope the tip does help someone.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
BBB is absolutely correct.  Nix the cruise control in bad driving conditions.

Another helpful hint that they don't tell you about:  If you know the driving conditions might be bad, drive with a full tank of gas (petrol).

Most cars are a bit light in the rear end.  This is especially bad if you have rear wheel drive, but it's not good under any circumstances.  This can make it quite easy to spin out.  Extra mass in the rear end can be a good thing.

Many people carry an extra couple bags of kitty litter in the trunk.  This is also very good, since you can throw kitty litter under your wheels if you get stuck, but please do not disregard the extra mass that a full tank of gas (petrol) can add to the rear end.

Drive slowly, and allow extra time for travel.  Watch out for the other guy, who has probably not read this post.

No, I have not always lived in the nice warm state of Virginia.  When I took my driver's education course, we had snow drifts up to 12 feet.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

The weather's awful again today. Another storm with lashings of rain and wind. I'm cold. Our chimney's still broken and the chimney repair place are a bit busy after the massive storm we had last Tuesday, and they're not promising any action this coming week. I'm afraid our electric oil heater simply doesn't cut it. But at least we have power today and FINALLY... hot water, yay!

Just noticed this morning, first time I've been up to the top of our garden since Tuesday, that part of our wooden fence blew down in the storm on Tuesday. Sigh, another thing to have repaired.

Thanks for the driving advice. Never owned a car with cruise control though. They're not common here. Mind you, never owned an automatic, and manual shift cars are no longer that common either.

Going to get into bed now and attempt to read my neuropsychology textbook while supine on the electric blanket turned up high. Wonder how many pagesparagraphs I'll manage before I pass out?  :-Z

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »
What drastic conditions you are living in, Bobbi! Hope you survive without damage to life or property.

Yes, I, too, used to live in very cold climates in NY. Whenever possible, I'd use the public transportation, because driving there was simply hideous in the wintertime. If one went away out of the city, which was  messy and dirty and tedious after the first day of the "beautiful snow," and if drove into the "hinterlands," it was necessary to carry chains, or get tires with studs.

That's why the movie, "The Shining," always gave me the creeps -- it was my worst nightmare!

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »
It's not actually that cold Threeb, it's 10 at night, the wind's howling, it's hosing down outside, but it's about 12 degrees celsius or 54 fahrenheit. It's merely horrible because we don't currently have adequate heating. Of course houses here are not very well insulated and that doesn't help matters.

The North Shore district of Auckland which is where both Tania and I live, is considered to be a frost-free zone. Tania lives on the western side, and that's even better sheltered than where I live. Last time it snowed in Auckland apparently was in 1936. It snowed downtown in Buenos Aires last week, and the last time it snowed there was 1918! So there's still hope  ;)

Cheers,
Bobbi

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
Well, then, it still sounds pretty lousy.

That's funny, though, because we did have ice and snow here in our part of central Texas this winter, and last winter as well. Didn't last very long -- but our temps were down into the 20s (F) a few times. In fact, we had some trees lose limbs or completely fall over as a result. Luckily, nothing damaged the house.

Stay safe and warm, Bobbi.

PS - I loved all the descriptions of your native flora, and how much you know about them! They sound so exotic, and just the names are beautiful!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
My husband...[explanation elsewhere] who is travelling to NZ today is going to repair storm damage to the cruise liner Pacific Sea [or Star] That was as a result of that storm...It must have been really horrendous...
You came out pretty well then..under the circumstances. Safe and healthy...that is the main thing.
 :angel:

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 04:36:07 AM »
We Kiwis tend to be quite laid back. I think Americans call storms of this magnitude Hurricanes. We just call them tropical storms. Can't for the life of me figure out why "tropical" - there's certainly nothing tropical about the temperature. Actually I do know the answer, this type of weather usually comes at us in a southerly direction from the tropics.

It's 6.30 and I'm off to Uni for the day. Still chucking down buckets outside. And it's a good 10 minute walk from the dar park to my lecture theatre. Think I need to invest in some wellies. Oh well not going to happen in time for today, will have to trust my rugged Asics walking shoes.

Cheers,
Bobbi

PS Regarding the plant names, Maori is a fabulous language. Must learn it sometime.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:28:31 AM »
You go to school on Sundays, Bobbi?

Yes, perhaps we could start a Maori tutorial. I have very little knowledge of the culture aside from the few National Geographic articles that cross my path. I'll try to start refreshing my brain on the web so I won't appear to be nearly as clueless as I really am!

Hope you day goes well -- stay safe and dry!

3-B

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »
You are welcome to my wellies bobbi..but i think i need them too..more storms and flooding are on their way again this week...
Hope you have a safe journey and a good day...
 :angel: