Author Topic: Objection to the player name COVID-19  (Read 1253 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Objection to the player name COVID-19
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
I have noticed a player using the name COVID-19 and would like to register my distaste and quite frankly disgust at the poor choice of a name. Surely out of respect to the loss of life and terrible suffering around the world this player could think of a different name.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Objection to the player name COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
A week ago or so, someone sent me an email drawing my attention to the player name "covid spreader". I thought that was offensive, so I changed it to anon, and kept an eye out over the following days for any re-occurrence of that name.

At the time I saw that there had been some games played using variants of "covid-19" as a player name, but I wasn't sure how offensive that was. The newspapers are full of cartoons about the pandemic, with frequent depictions of the virus. I don't like to interfere with people's choices of name without a powerful reason for doing so. Since the names are unregistered, I have no email address, or any other way of contacting the player(s) concerned to suggest they stop using such names.

What do others think?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Alan, I also toyed with the idea of complaining about 'covid19 spreader', but didn't want to put it in the forum. (Sending you an email didn't occur to me.)

I've no objection to 'covid19' appearing in a player name, but 'covid19 spreader' is a step too far for me.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »
Like you, Alan, I think "covid spreader" is offensive. It suggests pride in being someone who ignores the rules with the intention of spreading the disease.

I can't get too upset by the use of "COVID-19" though. The virus exists whether we like it or not. It's an odd, and maybe insensitive, choice of name but I don't find it offensive although I fully understand Jacki's feelings.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »
As you say, Alan, there's not much we can do about it seeing as it's an unregistered player.  And, again, as you say, there are hundreds of 'jokes' flooding the internet, some of which I have to admit are quite funny and inoffensive (the ones I've seen anyway).  I didn't notice the 'spreader' name because I don't pay much attention to any of the names (except, of course, for the people I 'know', such as Ozzyjack, Hobbit, MK, Morbius, TRex, Pat and all you other wonderful people too many to mention).  But I do understand Jacki's (and anyone else's) consternation.
Val
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:46:01 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
'Tasteless' is a fair assessment.

However since Chi has a policy of not censoring the actual words that can be played in the games (a policy which most, but not all, of us agree with) I think we should adopt the same 'anything goes' policy towards players' names, especially unregistered names which are, in truth, quite ephemeral.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »
Well put Mike

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 08:05:30 PM »
Really Mike - when you could pick any name in the world? I know you object to "nigger" being a common word  however if you're using the same basis for acceptance remember that history and usage have contributed to the inclusion of that word. Surely picking a playing name is completely different?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
I agree with Pat.  It's an insensitive choice of name but doesn't bother me - there's no accounting for (lack of) 'taste'!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
I know you object to "nigger" being a common word 

Quite the reverse, Jacki.

I find the word extremely offensive, but there is no denying that, even today, it is very common.

I made this point in a post a few years ago.

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php?topic=2621.0

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »
I'll tell you something that bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone playing as "COVID-19" and that's these stupid, selfish idiots who completely disregard the restrictions that have been put in place to save lives and carry on as normal. I've seen three houses round here where visitors have been accepted, not bearing food or medical supplies. To be fair, they've had doorstep conversations or invited the visitor into the back garden, but what part of "Stay at home" don't they understand? And there was a report in today's paper of a private jet carrying 10 passengers of different nationalities (seven men in their 40s and 50s and three women in their 20s... hmm) travelling from the UK to France for a holiday in Cannes. They were refused entry.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »
these stupid, selfish idiots who completely disregard the restrictions that have been put in place to save lives and carry on as normal.

Including a certain Minister of the Crown who will no doubt get away with it.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
Sorry mike.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile