Author Topic: Are you sure button  (Read 9971 times)

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Are you sure button
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
GRRRR - i just inadvertently looked at the solution in today's standard thinking i was looking at yesterday's solution to see which words i had missed - now i can't play - could we have an "are you sure button" for idiots like me please GAGL (I'm sorry about my previous post - please disregard it - i meant no offence - i'm sure you're not raelly trying to drive forumites mad by changing the colour of the scoreboard at random)
Viz

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Are you sure button
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
What a great idea! Yeah, GAGL -- and she really IS sorry about that last post!  ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:28:36 PM »
Trying to drive forumites mad? That sounds like knocking at an open door!  ;D

Anyhow, I can see the value of giving the player a second chance before they lock themselves out of a puzzle. These "Are you sure?" questions can be irritating, so I would think we should only have it come up where the player presses the solution button for today's puzzle without having played any words. Or do you think it should always appear when the puzzle is still current, even if words have been played?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »
I would heartily back up Viz's plea here - I also did the same thing one day and was most annoyed with myself!
Gaye
   :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
When this happens to you (and it's happened to me, too!), you can always sign out and play the puzzle as an unregistered player. You wouldn't be able to use exactly the same name as you usually do, but you could use something close, so people would know it's you.

(Make sure you get a screendump of the solution before you sign out.  :o )
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:46:47 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
no, only if no words have been played, but i don't mind - whatever is easiest. Thank you.
Viz

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
(Make sure you get a screendump of the solution before you sign out.  Shocked )

Nice one Alan,

Just hope T doesn't see this suggestion - she'll go mental!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
It's far too late for that bobbi, i went mad years ago...
If you hadn't realised that yet, i must be doing a better job of covering it up than i thought.... ;D
Did i mention my nice creamy coloured jacket with the extra long sleeves and the attractive buckles at the back.... :P

On this subject i have no thoughts at all.....
I don't care either way...
It makes no difference to me....
I don't really do the standard game, [i may have said that before..] so it doesn't affect me in any way, shape or form....
And anyway...i don't care anymore...I am being a new me.....very laid back...Hey Man!!! attitude...
So knock your socks off...
 :angel:

By the way..what is a screendump and how do you do that and why ???
I have learnt so many new computer skills playing this game...it's soooo ejucashional...

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »
Hi T

A screendump is when you press Ctrl & PrtScn at the same time and then you can go into an application like Word and do a paste, and whatever was on the screen when you did Crtl PrtScn will be pasted into that application.

I often do it when I am playing and go off somewhere. I print the game from word and then have a paper copy to work on. When I come back I type in the words I have found.  Often my old Dad and I work on it together over a meal. 

Gaye
   :)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »
 I didn't know what a screendump was, either!  I was hoping someone else might ask, and then I'd know I wasn't the only one! Thankyou, Gaye.....I am off to practice screendumping. It's such a dramatic term, I thought it might involve something like this..........

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »
That's a good one Binks..very appropriate, and what i feel like doing very often..

Thank you Gaye, you clever clogs, for the explanation...i wouldn't have had a clue or why you want to do it...i told you i was a complete nerd/nurd when it came to my computer....i have even located the button...it says 'Print Screen SysRq'..i am assuming it is the one you were refering to...
It is a function i don't think i will ever use..but thank you anyway...

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 11:27:10 PM »
Binks is always so funny!

And T, you're right! Gaye, you are a little 'puter whiz. After I read that post, though, I just felt even less L(I.T.)ERATE!! I've been known to break down systems by merely staring too long at the screen!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:19 PM »
I suffer from horrendous static...so avoid touching electrical equipment and metal stuff of any sort if i possibly can...and the computer is one of those things...i cannot tune in a radio to save my life, it just crackles and i get bad shocks...
so it is easy for me to blow up a system, no worries..

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »
That's really a funny coincidence, T! There have been numerous occasions that it's happened to me, too!

I've tried slathering myself with lotion, taking ion baths, drinking quantities of herbal tea, and wrapping myself in cocoons! Nothing works. Last winter, when the humidity was low, I must've zapped my boss a dozen times when I neared him. I wonder if that's why he runs the other way whenever I get with 20 feet of him! (I do bathe and deodorize regularly!  :angel:)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »
My cat..Crumble..who i very sadly had to have put down after 17 years of blissful friendship...used to love it.
I would stroke her along her back until the static built up a bit, then hold my finger out, she would touch it with her nose, and you would hear a crackle and see a tiny spark between her nose and my finger.
She would stay there for hours on my lap doing that...
She was so funny...