Author Topic: Our own inconsistencies  (Read 1166 times)

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Our own inconsistencies
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
I wonder how many Chi players experience the same silly inconsistencies that I do? For instance, anagrams of 'siren'. I'm aware of three, 'rinse', 'resin', 'risen'. Yet, how many times have those letters appeared and I've got three of the words but, frustratingly, taking forever to remember the fourth! Then there is 'tire' and 'tier', simple common letters in the game that I should get almost first up but, invariably, I'm close to my target before I see them. Happens time and again. One more (there are a number) - saved by that irritatingly and annoying skin condition, 'tinea'. Close to the target before that glaringly obvious combination of letters becomes glaring!!!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Our own inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
I know I don't have all the anagrams of short words memorised, but I do have a fair number in my head. (Along with tire and tier is rite.)

When I find one word which has anagrams, I play the others immediately (lest I forget). Also, if I've missed a word which has anagrams and find one of its anagrams, I'll get back to it — a set of three words which are anagrams gives me three chances of finding all three.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:57 PM »
I wonder how many Chi players experience the same silly inconsistencies that I do? For instance, anagrams of 'siren'. I'm aware of three, 'rinse', 'resin', 'risen'. Yet, how many times have those letters appeared and I've got three of the words but, frustratingly, taking forever to remember the fourth!

I've lost count of how many times these 4 have caught me out!  It's usually 'resin' that trips me up :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:19:20 AM »
One way to help remember these things is to create a mnemonic.  For example, I have the sentence, "the saint put a stain on the satin."

Coming up with memorable sentences with interesting images (just how did the saint stain the satin??) helps.

You might imagine a sleepy police officer whose siren got stuck in a pine tree.  He says to himself, "once I have risen, I will rinse the resin from my siren."

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:28:08 AM »
Or maybe that an insect thinks that incest is nicest,

;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:32:36 AM by mkenuk »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 04:03:41 AM »
I once nearly got the sack due to my hatred of mnemonics ! I went on a training course as I had changed companies but it was for doing the same sales job. The entire course consisted of a lecture on using mnemonics in order to remember "the steps to the sale".The previous company had actually given advice on how to sell the right car to the customer , how to appraise their part exchange etc and do this in a structured way (the steps to the sale). I pointed out on my feed back form that the course was OK for me but the rest of the people had never sold a car before and still had no clue how to do so but they were ace at making up drivel in order to remember a list of "steps"! Luckily my new boss was also  trained at the previous company and knew the value of their training course and also luckily I was topping the sales chart for that month and so he refused to sack me! This therefore is usually my excuse for missing some of the words in a "run" on Chi! Also don't get me started on tinea. I NEVER manage that one !!!!! Why??

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 05:56:02 AM »
My fave mnemonic for Chihuahua:
If you'll be silent and listen, I'm trying to enlist your help with the tinsel.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
I was playing craps on the edge of the scarp when I got into a scrap.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 09:40:14 AM »
The Lion ate Loin on the Lino and
While riding my Pinto, I made a Point of drinking Pinot and thinking about a Piton.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:55:40 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
I find I have to take the time to edit every item I eat when I'm tied to a diet - every mite that the tide may emit.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:51 AM »
I wonder how many Chi players experience the same silly inconsistencies that I do? For instance, anagrams of 'siren'. I'm aware of three, 'rinse', 'resin', 'risen'. Yet, how many times have those letters appeared and I've got three of the words but, frustratingly, taking forever to remember the fourth! Then there is 'tire' and 'tier', simple common letters in the game that I should get almost first up but, invariably, I'm close to my target before I see them. Happens time and again. One more (there are a number) - saved by that irritatingly and annoying skin condition, 'tinea'. Close to the target before that glaringly obvious combination of letters becomes glaring!!!

Throw in serin (a species of finch), which although a rare word according to the puzzle, and you have five in sequence ... resin, rinse, risen, serin, siren.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »
I find I have to take the time to edit every item I eat when I'm tied to a diet - every mite that the tide may emit.
That's a good one.