Author Topic: Emergency Coronavirus games  (Read 4375 times)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Coronavirus games
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 01:09:16 PM »
The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other in the pot.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
Enjoy your trip......love the experience....and deal with the consequences!!!!

Easier said than done! The trip has been cancelled as of next Tuesday, 12 days early, and everyone except me has found a flight home. I'm really struggling - most of them seem to go via Canada which is not an option as I don't have a transit visa. Ditto the USA although I should be able to get one online. But then I have the problem of not being allowed into the USA within 14 days of being in the UK...

It's a real worry. If I don't get out within the next few days I might be stuck here indefinitely.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
Is it possible that you can stay in the airport transit area until your flight to UK departs?
That way, technically, you are not entering the US.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »
Apparently airlines check if you have the appropriate visa when you check in and if you don't have it they don't allow you to board.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 11:05:16 PM »
Pat try Canadian visas. They are also available on line. We got those a couple of years ago. Keep you chin up!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 05:47:57 AM »
A long and expensive way out could be as follows:

[1] Santiago in Chile;

[2] Trans-Pacific flight from there to Sydney, Australia;

[3] Another long flight to Singapore;

[4] Flight from Singapore to Dubai;

[5] Flight from Dubai to Heathrow (on a nice comfy Emirates A380 with lots of leg room).

Doing it this way would probably blow a £3K hole in your wallet, and involve you in a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare, but if you're able to bypass the USA this way, at least it'll get you home.

The problematic bit might be Australia, which tends to be a bit strict about bringing unwanted micro-organisms with you, but I suspect if you're not intending to stop in Australia, you might be able to get around this.

The other way out is to find your nearest British Embassy, and see if they can dig you out of the hole. This webpage might be the first step in digging you out of that hole.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
The tour company I'm here with managed to find me a flight this morning at the princely sum of £2800! As I was feeling physically sick with worry it didn't really matter that it was so expensive  - I was just relieved to have a flight home. Now I just have to hope that nothing drastic happens before Friday.

Ironically, staying here would be much safer than going back to the UK. Some places we were supposed to stay at have closed down and the national parks are all closed, but by and large Costa Rica seems to be continuing as usual. The most danger I'll be in will be on the flights.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »
There's been some speculation about the role weather conditions play in the transmission of the disease. It does seem that the countries most severely affected so far are in a band of similar latitudes in the northern hemisphere. Tropical and southern hemisphere locations have got off relatively lightly.

If this is true it could mean countries like Australia will suffer the worst of the virus beginning in about June.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
Fingers crossed for a safe trip home, Pat. I hope you have some good memories of the tour to look back on, when you are able to relax. That was actually the sentiment behind my previous post....which came out sounding a bit heartless. Sorry, it wasn't meant that way. Moyra.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 01:07:25 PM »
Don't worry, Moyra. I took your comment in the way I think you intended it.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »
I love the way we care about each other in this forum.  See the worry about Mike in another thread.  I trust you will get home safely without too much extra expense, Pat.  Please keep us informed.  We do care.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 06:31:55 AM »
Very well put Jack.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
Well I'm playing my first random puzzle and can report I'm still suffering from LWS (last word syndrome)!!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
That syndrome is probably not contagious, but is possibly endemic!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 01:34:17 AM »
With massive relief I got home last night, transiting through Madrid airport which was practically deserted. In fact the departures board showed only 5 more flights after mine so maybe it's closed now. I had several gut-churning moments in Costa Rica, worried that my flights would be cancelled at the last minute. I was reading today that Brits stranded in New Zealand are being asked for up to £40,000 for a flight back to the UK - my one-way flight for £2,800 was peanuts compared to that!

I took this photo as were were descending into Heathrow airport which was as deserted as Madrid. London roads have never been seen like this before.