Author Topic: Emergency Coronavirus games  (Read 4373 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Emergency Coronavirus games
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »
Alan, with unprecedented times, and so many people who will be quarantined, I am so grateful I've got Chihuhua to pass the time. I don't have the virus as yet, however I suppose it's pretty much inevitable. Perhaps we need a couple more games each day for say the next few months? I'd love a 3pm game and a 3am game!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emergency Coronavirus games
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
I'm not sure that there's a need for me to do anything to enable people to play more puzzles each day. Chihuahua already has two methods for players to create and play their own puzzles in unlimited numbers.

There are random puzzles, that you can create with the same selector used to go to a particular day's puzzle.

Random puzzles are just for one player, but under the "Your Puzzles" tab players can create puzzles and "publish" them so other people can play the puzzle and compete on the scoreboard. There are full instructions on the Help pages. Every day there are a number of puzzles created and shared, but currently only a few people play these puzzles. Perhaps I haven't done enough to publicize this feature.

You could create and publish several puzzles each day, at specific times, and, via the forum, encourage anyone who wants to to play these puzzles. Puzzles can be defined as running for 24 hours, or a shorter time if you wish.

Could this meet your wish for extra puzzles, Jacki? Incidentally, are you sure you should be playing puzzles at 3am?!

Anyhow, stay well, so far as it's in your power - and that applies to all forumites of course.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Another puzzle or two would be most welcome, but I must add that we should not ignore our responsibilities to our friends and to our communities.  Here in the US we have very little support for hourly workers who have no benefits, no sick days, nothing.

I met a friend this evening and overheard her immediate fears.  She was in tears, being "just that close" to making rent for the month but if her workplace shut down she would be homeless.  She dried her tears and got back with the rest of us.  Others had also overheard, and they said she could "call if she needed anything".  Alan, please pardon my language, but screw that.  I slipped her enough money to make rent and buy some groceries.  It didn't take much, but a small sum of money can be a big obstacle if you don't have it.

That gave me an idea.  Andy's soup kitchen is open for business!

We should not disparage soup.  This can be not only nutritious and cost effective, but breathtakingly delicious.  No, these are not soups out of a can.

I had been scheduled to help teach at a music festival this coming weekend, but the festival was cancelled.  I still have the time off, but nothing to do . . . maybe cook some food for people who need it?  Probably not a bad idea.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »
Gosh Alan.  I've been playing these games for many years and I never knew there was a "random puzzle" available below each of the daily puzzles.  I've only ever played extra puzzles on the "Your Puzzles" tab.  You live and learn.  I deserve a good ticking off for not being more observant.  I feel, therefore, that the current availability of puzzles is more than enough to keep us going all through this pestilence and into our next life.  Thank you for enlightening me.

Good grief, Jacki.  3am?  You must be an insomniac!  Or a puzzle addict.
I'll sleep in my next life

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
The 3am was just in case I get Coronavirus and can't sleep! Although I do dream about words for Chihuahua! And I didn't know about the random puzzle either so that's great. Thanks and yes to everyone else, I echo Alan's sentiments "stay safe." 
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
  Another one who didn't know about the random puzzle 
  took me a while to locate it !!

Hoping to avoid Covid 19,  living in the sticks helps and and it hasn't reach
  the Riverland YET

Hoping all Chi players stay well

What I want to know, why was there a run in Supermarkets on Cat Litter ???

Carol

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
Really, Carol?  Cat litter?  Utterly bizarre.  Perhaps it's the cat equivalent of toilet paper.

Yes, indeed, Chi friends near and far.  Do stay fit and healthy and virus-free.  As you say, Carol, living in "the sticks" does help.  And, unlike the city folk with only supermarkets to choose from, we are fortunate still to have our local butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who are currently well stocked with supplies. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:00:40 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
I'm in Costa Rica on a birding tour at the moment, at the end of day 5 of a 24 day trip. There's a good deal of concern about getting home and no one seems to know what to do for the best. There must be thousands of tourists here so I imagine the airport is chaotic (and no doubt a great breeding ground for infection), but if we continue the tour to the end we might get stuck here. Not a good time to be out of one's own country!

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »
Oh Pat, that's not good.

Our Prime Minister has just warned all Australians to return home ASAP, so I don't know whether that means the government is contemplating closing the borders to all arrivals.

Stay safe, indeed.

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
Pat, please stay in touch as you’re able. I know we’re all rooting for your safe journey.  — Paula

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »
Enjoy your trip......love the experience....and deal with the consequences!!!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »
The entire medical profession recommends "social distancing".  I guess you can never be too safe . . .

Photo taken by my lovely bride 15 March 2020.
Carpe digitus.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »
I'm in Costa Rica on a birding tour at the moment, at the end of day 5 of a 24 day trip. There's a good deal of concern about getting home and no one seems to know what to do for the best. There must be thousands of tourists here so I imagine the airport is chaotic (and no doubt a great breeding ground for infection), but if we continue the tour to the end we might get stuck here. Not a good time to be out of one's own country!

I'm in the opposite predicament:  I'm still scheduled for the trip beginning April 16 and assume, but don't know if, it is going to be canceled. And I just learned today that our State Department is urging all citizens outside the country to return, just as the Australian government is.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 07:13:51 AM »

Photo taken by my lovely bride 15 March 2020.

What a beautiful view A :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
Regarding the soup kitchen, I really messed up the first batch.  I overcooked the onions.  I later came to realize that it tasted better that way, with well browned onions like you would see in a French onion soup.  I might have to mess up like this more often.

I also tried something new in the delivery.  I baked some bricks at 200F (95C) and packed a picnic cooler with the bricks and the tubs of soup.  The additional thermal mass of the hot bricks kept the soup hot, even for the last delivery across town.  Food safety is important, with or without a virus.
Carpe digitus.