Author Topic: Emergency Coronavirus games  (Read 4384 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Coronavirus games
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 01:44:59 AM »
Pleased to read you're safely home Pat.  What a huge relief.  Can't believe that picture you took!  It's all so unsettling & scary.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »
Have a good rest and then look at the nice pictures of birds that you usually take.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 02:37:00 AM »
Happy to see you home Pat
Now all you have to do is avoid the virus and get some food in  :-H
look forward to seeing your pics
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 03:03:12 AM »
Add my best wishes to everyone else's, Pat.

Mike

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »

So pleased you made it home   

Carol

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
Great news, Pat
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes, folks. It surely is a nice community here. I hope all forumites, indeed all Chi players, wherever they are, are looking after themselves and staying as safe as possible.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
Pat, I’m so pleased you got home safely. Now please stay safe!
Madeleine

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
I always knew birdwatching was a precarious pastime, Pat!  Glad to hear you are safely home.  Keep safe.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
Linda, really! Actually it can be precarious if you're not careful. On one of my previous trips the tour leader told us that just after he'd advised some clients not to get too near the edge of a cliff he did just that himself and went over it. He was still suffering from the after effects of that fall. But thanks for the well wishes anyway, and thanks to you, too, Madeleine.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »
It seems that people spending more time at home may be causing an increase in the number of Chi players. I've noticed there have been more than 700 players of the Standard puzzle on a few recent days, which is unusual. Here's a graph of the number of players of each of the daily puzzles so far this year. It looks like there's been an upward trend, especially in the past week.

Alan Walker

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »
So glad to hear that you are home safe, Pat!  My flight to Costa Rica still hasn't been cancelled, though I cannot imagine why. Maybe they are waiting to see if the country extends the anti-tourist ban (well, you can come if you want to stay housebound for 14 days).  I can't imagine that they would let me in anyway since I'm coming from the epicenter in the U.S.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
I wonder if some businesses are playing the waiting game, Birdy. I don't know what the legal position is regarding refunds, but perhaps they hope that if the customer makes the decision to cancel they, the company, won't have to pay out. Birdquest, the company I went to Costa Rica with, at first refused to cancel the tour, even though people were looking for early flights home. It was only when they felt they had no option, presumably because some of our forthcoming accommodations were closing, that they finally cancelled it.

Apparently the rules are being changed to help prevent tour companies from going out of business. Birdquest seemed to be quite fair about calculating the amount of the refund but seized on the opportunity afforded them by the new rules to say that instead of returning the money they would keep it in lieu of (part) payment for any future tour with them, and if no tour is booked they would keep it for two years. The refund amount is $4700. They'd found and paid for my flight home and they at least agreed to deduct the cost of that from what they owe me, but refused to repay me the balance. It may be that I could pursue it through the courts but that would cost me even more. On top of that, should I be fortunate enough to get a refund for the return portion of my original flight it will also be in the form of a voucher. I believe you're within your rights to demand a cash refund but if you've booked through Opodo - forget it!

And needless to say, my holiday insurance, no doubt in line with all others, has a general exclusion for anything to do with a pandemic. Having said all that I do understand that compared with those poor souls who've temporarily lost their income or even lost loved ones to the virus I have nothing to complain about.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:11:30 PM by pat »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 01:55:27 AM »
It seems that people spending more time at home may be causing an increase in the number of Chi players. I've noticed there have been more than 700 players of the Standard puzzle on a few recent days, which is unusual.

Does that include 'Your Puzzles', Alan?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 01:24:39 PM »
Does that include 'Your Puzzles', Alan?

No, TRex, that's only the four daily puzzles. There doesn't seem to be such a definite trend in Your Puzzles or in random puzzles.
Alan Walker