Author Topic: whoops!  (Read 657 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
whoops!
« on: March 10, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
oops - informal exclamation - used to show recognition of a mistake or a minor accident. Common in Chi.

whoops - another way of saying 'oops' - Not known in Chi.

grrrrr - expression of annoyance at losing my 100% hitrate due to non-recognition of 'whoops'

;D

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: whoops!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »
Woops (A misspelling of whoops according to Wiktionary) was accepted as a rare word.  Seems anomalous to me!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
Woops (A misspelling of whoops according to Wiktionary) was accepted as a rare word.  Seems anomalous to me!
ditto...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
The reason whoops is not accepted is because, as well as being another term for the exclamation oops, it is also the plural of whoop, "A loud cry of joy or excitement", or "A long rasping indrawn breath, typically of someone with whooping cough" (Online Oxford). And an inflection of the verb whoop, "Give or make a whoop".
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »
Another one of those pairs - pant/pants, odd/odds, e.g., where the word with the "s" ending has nothing to do with the word without the "s."