Author Topic: felafel v falafel  (Read 266 times)

jancsika

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
felafel v falafel
« on: March 05, 2020, 08:44:27 PM »
According to yesterday’s 7-by-7 the game, the former is common whereas the latter gets the italic treatment. I had always seen is spelled “falafel” and indeed, if you click on the definition for “felafel”, it says: "(less common) alternative spelling of falafel". Also, if you google “felafel” it immediately pops up with “did you mean “falafel?”.

Candidates for reclassification? I think so....

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: felafel v falafel
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
I know the word from the time I spent working in the Middle East; I'd nearly always seen it spelled falafel in English menus, but I have seen both spellings.
To be honest, I'm surprised that either version is common in Chi.

Could I ask, just out of curiosity, which of the three spellings of hummus, humous or houmos is common?

Just my opinion but, unless there is a generally agreed spelling of words transliterated from languages which don't use Roman script (eg kimono, geisha and sushi from Japanese) then all variants should be 'rare'.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 01:47:20 AM »
I'm familiar with the word from seeing it but had never heard it spoken. I'd always thought it would be pronounced FA-ler-FELL but I recently heard it pronounced fer-LAY-ful.  You live and learn.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:33:01 AM »
Definitely no r when people say it over here. More like fuh-LAH-full.

Of those mentioned, falafel and hummus are common to me. I've not seen the other spelling variations.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 02:51:13 AM »
Definitely no r when people say it over here. More like fuh-LAH-full.

Yes, perhaps I should have said fuh-LAY-ful. I forgot about Americans' rhoticity!

rogue_mother

• Glossologian
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 05:29:16 AM »

I forgot about Americans' rhoticity!

Pronouncing 'r' when it is there and not pronouncing it when it isn't there in the spelling -- what a concept!

Anonsi is correct about how we pronounce felafel over here. And to answer MK's question, hummus is the preferred spelling on this side of the Atlantic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:50:39 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

TRex

• Glossologian
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 07:16:56 AM »
Never heard it pronounced any way other than fah-LAH-fel — and I've spent a fair amount of time around Middle Eastern people. I've never seen the first spelling, only the second.