Author Topic: Mystifying comment  (Read 1523 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Mystifying comment
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:22:07 PM »
I belong to several Facebook groups for wildlife photography. People's comments on photos are generally about the photo itself but more than a few people feel the need to bring their god into the equation, with comments like 'Only God the Creator could create something so beautiful', or 'God really went to town with his paintbox when he created that bird' and so on. Each to their own. But one comment that mystified and amused me in equal measure was from someone who didn't comment on the photo at all but simply wrote 'GOD IS SO POWERFUL. HE COULD THRO A BOAT RIGHT OVER A HEDGE'.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystifying comment
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:42:17 AM »
I can well understand your mystification, Pat.

All I can think in reply would be to wonder why on earth He would ever want to do that.

???

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 04:33:52 AM »
Not forgetting that he’d have to carry the boat a long way to find a hedge to ‘thro’ it over. Hedges and boats don’t usually tend to be in close proximity. Canal boats maybe.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »
Not being on Facebook, I hesitate to suggest Pat, that you ask this person - what does that mean?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 10:56:58 AM »
Perhaps the comment was intended to ridicule the God-related comments from others?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
I did point out that it was one of the strangest comments I'd seen but he didn't respond. I sometimes look at the profiles of people who post strange or unpleasant comments and many of them are gun-loving, Trump-revering illiterates. A lot of them don't believe in evolution, perhaps because they don't understand it. A prime example of ignorance and illiteracy in this charming comment from someone else, aimed at me:

"do you think your existence came from a ape,a monkey or maybe you came from a a-- hole.
A democrate who does not believe in god.dont know if theres a hell or not but if there is I bet you find it"

I think you're better off not being on Facebook, Jacki!

TRex, I did wonder that myself,  but what a strange thing to say to demonstrate god's power!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
On seeing the beauties of nature we may not always go along with the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins that 'The World is charged with the grandeur of God' but we do at least have a sense of wonder that birds and butterflies exist.

Compare that with the attitude of newspaper columnists and TV Show presenters who look for ugliness, greed and hatred in the world around them.
What drives Facebook trolls into making remarks such as you have  quoted is beyond me.
The usual comments about such people leading sad, empty lives have become cliches.
In general terms, it seems to me that the largest social media organisations thrive on hatred and greed. I want nothing to do with them.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »
Some of the most powerful and moving things I've seen or felt have come from kindness, forgiveness and truth.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »
Heh, I encounter the mythology fanboys frequently on Faecesbook, and some of them are complete and utter moon pies.

Apart from the ones that can't be bothered to learn the actual nature of various scientific postulates, and instead think that whatever caricatures and misrepresentations thereof they lapped up from their "pastors" or other assorted "holy men" constitute the reality thereof, there are the ones who think rectally extracted apologetic fabrications count for more than demonstrable fact.

What amuses me, is that these specimens think that presenting spectacles of themselves before a global audience, of a sort that I and many others would have been ashamed of at the age of five, constitutes an advertisement for whichever brand of mythology fanboyism they're peddling, instead of a stark warning of the toxicity thereof.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
https://theinterrobang.com/the-comedian-who-changed-my-life-3/

Where on earth did you find that, Alan? It does rather support TRex's view that the person I originally mentioned was attempting to ridicule the God-worshipping comments from others.

Mike, the second quote, regarding my ancestry, was actually relatively mild. Some people thrive on using foul language and horrible insults against complete strangers who don't share their point of  view. All they succeed in doing is revealing themselves to be thoroughly unpleasant people.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:43:59 PM by pat »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »
or maybe you came from a a-- hole.

Shouldn't that be an a...hole?!!   >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 12:39:17 AM »
Just one of several examples of his illiteracy in his comment.  :laugh:

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 04:00:55 AM »
or maybe you came from a a-- hole.

Shouldn't that be an a...hole?!!   >:D

Normal American usage would spell the word with 'ss'.
That still leaves another 10 (by my reckoning) examples of substandard English.
 :laugh:

I'm assuming this yahoo is American;
Alan's research seems to suggest that the source of the original quote about the throwing power of the Deity was indeed American.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:06:35 AM by mkenuk »

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 09:11:34 AM »
I must say that from my perspective, it is unfortunate that those on either side of the debate find it necessary to throw insults at each other about the various beliefs.

From a personal note, I must say that my mind cannot find it in itself to faithfully believe either the Creationist or religious theory of our beginnings, nor the Big Bang/evolutionary/non deity theory of science, where we effectively came, as I gather, from a seemingly minute speck of something.

Anyway, one thing I do know is that name calling and ridicule has never changed anyone's belief of how life and the universe came about. When I read comments doing those things, in forums and on Facebook, I often find it ironic that as each accuses the other of taking the low moral and "nasty" ground with their comments, their own offerings are very often of the same ilk! 

I just envy everyone who has a strong faith, or belief, as it must be calming, when things get tough, to have something that you can hold onto.

Enjoy the day ahead, whoever and however it came about!