Author Topic: Quota of tricky words  (Read 864 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Quota of tricky words
« on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »
Normally when I'm playing and I've still got a word or more to find and I'm struggling I often check how many "tricky" words I've found and if there's a few then I figure I'm looking for easier words. There's always at least one tricky word in the 11am puzzle, and three to four in the 3am puzzle and a good four to five in the 7pm one.
Actually I seem to find a lot of the tricky words more quickly than the easy ones. The other day I was stuck with my LWS (Last Word Syndrome) and I finally figured out I didn't have LOSE. In my excitement for being the first to a rosette at 100% in the shortest amount of common words, I accidentally touched the wrong thing and submitted the jumbled letters! So I went down to 98%!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Re: Quota of tricky words
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
Bummer, Jackie.  But YOU know what you did even if the game gave you 98% and you should feel proud.  As to the rest, when I get to LWS I get a little frantic, and most of the time its not a tricky word but a blatently ordinary word that 1) I was sure I had played but it didn't "take" or 2) ARMB - Age Related Mind Blindness.
Stevens Point, WI

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
Oh good heavens.  Snap!  All of the above.  Soooooo darn irritating innit?
I'll sleep in my next life

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:49:02 AM »
Unfortunately, using times instead of 'Standard', 'Challenge', and '10 Letters' with their dates (when applicable) doesn't translate well, unless there is a location beneath your name — and even that requires some calculations.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »
I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to define 'tricky' words, Jacki.
It's hard enough to find a definition of 'common' words that everyone agrees on!

But I think I know what you mean, and there are certainly a fair number of them in today's Standard game.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
I love that you nearly always interact. And yes today's was challenging. But there was one game a while ago that I remember us both saying it was a corker - can't remember the seed word and it really had some doozies in it. As I'm writing I realise probably three quarters of the lexigame players will have no idea what I'm saying!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
The game in question was, I think, menopausal,  Chi's New Year present to his loyal solvers.
It had among its 'common' words alumnae, lumpen, mausolea, neoplasm and, last but not least, pleonasm,

Some strange usage of the word 'common' that I'm not familiar with, to misquote Arthur Dent.