Author Topic: Alcopop  (Read 386 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Alcopop
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
A word that was probably invented long after the original list of Chi words was created. Although the word has never been suggested it was  mentioned in a thread where someone asked for alco to be included (request denied). It would appear from that thread that the word is known in Australia and it's certainly well known here in the UK, but whether it's well known enough everywhere to warrant common status I wouldn't like to say. I think it definitely warrants inclusion though.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Alcopop
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
It's a sad indictment on the alcohol industry that they have actively tried to get young folks hooked on their product by making it taste like a soft drink...
...but, yes, alcopop is a thing  :P :P :P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
A word that was probably invented long after the original list of Chi words was created.

Actually the first known use of the word alcopop was in 1996, a good few years before Chi started, but conceivably the word didn't make it into any dictionaries until too late for our foundation list, "YAWL".

The word is now in several dictionaries, and generally without a hyphen. Some of the dictionaries label it as a British usage, and it is certainly used more often in publications from Britain and Australia, etc, than in North America.

So I'll add it to our list as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »
Thanks, Alan.