Author Topic: closeout  (Read 1285 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
closeout
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
'closeout' - cost me a rosette in the covetously 10-letter game.

I honestly can't say I've ever heard the word before, meaning either a closing-down fire sale or  a term which might be familiar to surfers descriptive of a breaking wave . (Is it similar to 'wipeout', which I remember was the name of a catchy 'surfing' hit tune a few years ago?}

Played by 29 from 291 - almost exactly 10%.

One for the 'reclassify' file?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:39:43 PM by mkenuk »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: closeout
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
Maybe it's an American phrase, but I'm very familiar with it.  There was a store in my neighborhood for years called "The Closeout Connection" - just closed itself last year.

It's in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "Closeout definition is - a clearing out by a sale usually at reduced prices of the whole remaining stock (as of a business)."

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
I've a felling it might be more common in US.

The usual term in UK is, I think, 'Closing-down sale' (with or without a hyphen) or 'Fire Sale' (whether or not there has been a fire).

Neither COD nor Chambers has an entry for the word, which would suggest it's not known in UK.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
I was a surfie girl in my past life.  The word is familiar to me (although I really had to dredge it from the recesses of my aging brain).  I'm not sure it would be common to non-surfers.  Yes, MK, here in Australia we call it a Closing Down sale.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:40:25 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »
According to the News on the Web corpus, closeout is used more than ten times as frequently in the US as the UK, confirming my own feeling that it isn't commonly used in the British-influenced part of the Chi world. So it will be treated as rare in future.

Interestingly, many of the examples of the word in places like Britain and Australia seem to have sports meanings that are not given by dictionaries. Sometimes it seems to describe a game that concludes or decides a series:

It was Mitchell's second 22-point quarter this postseason, with the other coming in the closeout Game 6 against the Thunder.

On other occasions it seems to relate to some type of action in a basketball game:

And while Williamson, and his soaring closeout block on Virginia's De'Andre Hunter, stole the show Saturday, James said the entire Duke team was impressive.

Both of these quotes are from the UK edition of the ESPN website. My own basketball knowledge is minimal. I was perhaps the only person in the universe who hadn't heard of Kobe Bryant before his death.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks, Alan. That's another word I can delete from my 'Words common in Chi that I have never heard of' list.

My own basketball knowledge is minimal. I was perhaps the only person in the universe who hadn't heard of Kobe Bryant before his death.

No, there were at least two of us.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Three!
I'll sleep in my next life

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »
I had not heard of Kobe either
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:24 AM »
Nope that makes at least 5 of us!  I'd never heard of Kobe either
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 01:54:25 AM »
Six. Six within the Chi community suggests many thousands in the big wide world!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:55:59 AM by pat »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 02:19:07 AM »
I had heard of him even though the only sport I'm remotely interested in is tennis!!  >:D

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
Kobe was unknown to me but I have to admit most games with round balls leave me cold

But more worrying is the Oscars I would not have a clue who the winners were, maybe one or two

Beginning to think I should get out more or read trash magazines  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
Oh Carol I wouldn't recommend the trashy magazines!  They'll be full of those reality TV stars who are simply famous for being famous & have little or no discernible skill or talent :(  I'm not too bad with actors although quite often I know the name but can't put the face to the name :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »
I'm only aware of the name Kobe Bryant due to a Nintendo 64 game that was released in 1998 - Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside.