General Category > Word Games

Ten years of Chihuahua puzzle books

(1/4) > >>

Alan W:
28 January 2010 was the publication date of the first book of Chihuahua puzzles.

I wasn't optimistic enough to identify it as "Volume 1". Sales of the first book began sluggishly, and after a few months I felt that it was an experiment I wouldn't be repeating. But then a few people asked me when volume two was coming out, so I thought I might as well put out another volume, having done all the hard graft of working out how to do it. Sales of both volumes gradually picked up, encouraging me to continue. Now there have been 15 volumes of nine-letter puzzles and another twenty or so volumes of varying types. Details are on the Chihuahua Puzzle Books page. The latest series is 7-by-many puzzles, with two volumes released in 2019.

As usual, my main motivation has been having fun. After all, it's pretty cool to sit at your computer and create paperback books that people all over the world can buy. But in the process I've made some money - a dollar or two per book - which I don't mind. The highest rate of sales is always in November and December, leading me to infer that a lot of the books are bought as presents. Total sales of all volumes are running at about 1300 per year.

What to expect in the next ten years? I'd love to see your ideas.

auntiemo:
Well done, Alan.
You really never know what people want, do you? Keep up the good work.
Moyra

Valerie:
I still have your first book, Alan, which, as you deduced, was a gift.  But it introduced me to your wonderful online games and I've also since collected several of your other books (all gifts).  I treasure them all.  Only ever using pencil means I can rub out and enjoy the puzzles over and over again.  Thank you Alan for all your hard work.

PLT:
I think I probably have all your books, Alan. They're totally absorbing and have saved my sanity on many a long-haul flight. Many thanks.

Alan W:
Hi, PLT. Glad you've enjoyed the books. And thanks for your kind words too, Valerie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version