Author Topic: Ten years of Chihuahua puzzle books  (Read 7651 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ten years of Chihuahua puzzle books
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:32:50 PM »
28 January 2010 was the publication date of the first book of Chihuahua puzzles.

I wasn't optimistic enough to identify it as "Volume 1". Sales of the first book began sluggishly, and after a few months I felt that it was an experiment I wouldn't be repeating. But then a few people asked me when volume two was coming out, so I thought I might as well put out another volume, having done all the hard graft of working out how to do it. Sales of both volumes gradually picked up, encouraging me to continue. Now there have been 15 volumes of nine-letter puzzles and another twenty or so volumes of varying types. Details are on the Chihuahua Puzzle Books page. The latest series is 7-by-many puzzles, with two volumes released in 2019.

As usual, my main motivation has been having fun. After all, it's pretty cool to sit at your computer and create paperback books that people all over the world can buy. But in the process I've made some money - a dollar or two per book - which I don't mind. The highest rate of sales is always in November and December, leading me to infer that a lot of the books are bought as presents. Total sales of all volumes are running at about 1300 per year.

What to expect in the next ten years? I'd love to see your ideas.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ten years of Chihuahua puzzle books
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Well done, Alan.
You really never know what people want, do you? Keep up the good work.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:24:59 PM »
I still have your first book, Alan, which, as you deduced, was a gift.  But it introduced me to your wonderful online games and I've also since collected several of your other books (all gifts).  I treasure them all.  Only ever using pencil means I can rub out and enjoy the puzzles over and over again.  Thank you Alan for all your hard work.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:59:59 AM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

PLT

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »
I think I probably have all your books, Alan. They're totally absorbing and have saved my sanity on many a long-haul flight. Many thanks.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:01:47 PM »
Hi, PLT. Glad you've enjoyed the books. And thanks for your kind words too, Valerie.
Alan Walker

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
Happy bookiversary! 🥂 🥳
Thank you for all your work, Alan, that gives so many people so much fun.
I love the books, especially the compact versions which are a great length for playing over the phone with my mum. Aren’t we due another one?!
Here’s hoping for another ten years.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:08:36 PM »
I love the books, especially the compact versions which are a great length for playing over the phone with my mum. Aren’t we due another one?!

Do you mean the Compact Edition or Chihuahua Express? Both have the same sized puzzles: from 15 to 25 common words.
Alan Walker

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Either / both! I think we’ve used them all 🤠

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
For the most recent compact book, volume 4, I increased the number of puzzles from 100 to 150, because I had realised I could do so with only a small increase in selling price. But this volume has sold very sluggishly. My mistake, I suppose, was to weaken the defining characteristic of the series - compactness. The book is about 50% thicker and heavier than its predecessors, and hence less appealing to many readers, despite its better value for money.

The next compact volume, which will come out within a few weeks, will revert to the original size of 100 puzzles in under 80 pages. The consumer is king - at least in Chihuahua land.
Alan Walker

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 11:44:45 PM »
I’ll be glad in a few weeks then, however many puzzles! Thanks, Alan - looking forward to it!
Madeleine

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »
Make that a few days.

I've just released Chihuahua Compact volume 5. It's now available from the main Amazon sites. It might take a couple of weeks or more before it's listed on other sites, like Book Depository, Barnes & Noble, etc. Enjoy.

There'll be a new Chihuahua Express book out, probably later this year, with 200 of the shorter puzzles.
Alan Walker

PLT

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
Oh no - more expense! Thanks - more fun ahead.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
Yippee!
Please can the Express book be out in 100 days?!
Thanks - looking forward to it!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
Madeleine, I'd be interested to hear more about how you use the puzzle books for playing over the phone.

Far be it from me to discourage you from buying Chi books, but I'm wondering whether you couldn't create small puzzles under "Your Puzzles" and play them with your mum.
Alan Walker

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
Well, that is the plan b when we don’t have a book. She’s not online (😮) so I get puzzles for us that way. It’s easier when she has the book and is in charge of the word lists - especially now her hearing’s not so good, and I’m bellowing the common word list at her! (My husband once got out of the bath to find out why I was yelling ‘Labia! Labia!’ And it’s very important to tick the ‘no offensive words’ box! There are words I don’t want to shout at my mum ... ) But it’s easy to play - give the letters and the targets. Next day, go through the common word list and check any others. Then repeat! We’ve done it pretty much every day for over 30 years ..  🙂