Author Topic: Calumnied -- possibly acceptable?  (Read 5005 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Calumnied -- possibly acceptable?
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
I got quite excited this morning when I thought I had spotted a rare nine-letter word-- yes, I know the normal form is calumniated, but calumnied is a plausible backformation and does have some currency in written documents, or so a Google search suggests.  anybody happen to agree with me out there?  Please?!

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: Calumnied -- possibly acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »
Not that I spotted it in the puzzle, but I thought "calumnied" was a correct word.  A very quick Google......
"consider the possibility that we are being villified and calumnied"
 "both were calumnied by their lessers "
"But it is not our job, when defamed, slandered, or calumnied to get worked up about it"

Hmmmm....so why was it rejected?

ALAN!   We need you!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:55 PM »
Yes, please O Great GAGL -- give us your wisdom, as you always do!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
Well spotted, Dave.

The Shorter Oxford does have an entry for calumny as a verb, meaning calumniate, slander. So, I'll add it to the list. But not today - since I never add words after a puzzle is started - so I'm sorry, but  you won't get a chance to use it any time soon!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:55:10 PM »
And along similar lines, I also spotted "unmedical" this morning -- I had almost completed a message about it when my speech recognition software decided to hurl the bloody thing into cyberspace.  And, interestingly enough, it turns up in our friendly online dictionary -- another candidate, I reckon.  Pity it will probably never turn up again!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
And yet another...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »
This may be getting monotonous, but our friendly online dictionary appears to accept medica as an assimilated word in the phrase materia medica, even though I would normally put it in italics myself... another candidate for inclusion?

(naturally, these bright suggestions are only popping into my head because I'm going nuts trying to get all the common words!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
Dave, try to look at it this way: if medica were allowed (which it's not) and if it were classed as a common word (which would be unlikely), the common word target would have been higher by one, and after playing medica, you would still have to get exactly the same number of additional words as you in fact do have to get!

As for the word itself - and unmedical - I'll look into them.
Alan Walker

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
I thought it was a very musical game....i cannot recall another puzzle with so many musical terms in.....and i cannot think of a single lyric to slot in there...!!! How sad i am, and no doubt relieved you are...
 :angel:

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
A belated response on unmedical and medica.

Unmedical is listed in the Shorter Oxford, so I agree it should be allowed.

It's true that some dictionaries identify materia medica as an assimilated expression, but that does not persuade me that medica (or for that matter materia) should be allowed, because I don't think you could say that either part of the phrase is an English word in its own right.

However, it turns out that medica is also an obsolete (late Middle English to mid-18th century) alternative to medick, the name for various leguminous plants, including lucerne, aka alfalfa. The word is unrelated to medical: the plants were believed by the ancients to have originated in Media - modern-day Iran, more or less. Medick is in the Chihuahua word list.

So, on that basis, medica could make a claim for admission. But I'm still not convinced - an obsolete word used in widely-read works of literature is one thing, but a word you might only encounter in a centuries-old natural history book is quite another.
Alan Walker

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
You are a model of lexicographical diligence, mate!

Yes, I quite agree about the really obscure words -- my only mild reservation is that you could apply precisely the same argument to perhaps 20% of the rare words inherited from YAWLS and the like.  I guess that so many people have learnt those lists pretty much by heart that they now have the dubious authority of being quasi-canonical...

Cheers,

Dave (house pedant/dilettante/anything-but-diligent word hound)