Author Topic: Yesterday's GRANARIES game  (Read 955 times)

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Yesterday's GRANARIES game
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »
Oh the frustration of being one word away from a rosette especially when that word is 'sing'! 

Part of the fun and addictive quality of this game of course.  Thank you Alan for bringing this game to us every day and giving a little zing to each day.

Happy new year to all!  Stay safe, particularly those who have bushfires raging all around them at present (including myself in the blue mountains west of Sydney).  These are unsettling times indeed. 

Linda

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Yesterday's GRANARIES game
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
Happens to everyone from time to time, Linda. I nearly missed sold in a recent game.

If I find that I'm stuck for a single word, and especially if I suspect that it's a fairly easy word, I sometimes turn off the computer and play the game the 'old-fashioned' way with a pen and paper.
It's surprising how often that method works. It's already found me one of the two words I was missing in the current Challenge game; just one to go.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 12:11:17 AM »
Part of the fun and addictive quality of this game of course.  Thank you Alan for bringing this game to us every day and giving a little zing to each day.

Happy new year to all!  Stay safe, particularly those who have bushfires raging all around them at present (including myself in the blue mountains west of Sydney).  These are unsettling times indeed. 

Happy New Year to you Linda & all Forumites :)  I've been following events on our news websites & Jack keeps us posted from his neck of the woods. The pictures today are very shocking.  My heart goes out to all of you & hope you all stay safe.

Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 01:19:25 AM »
I often miss sing. It's funny cause it's an anagram of sign and I've got so many bloody anagrams now in my head from playing Chi that I wonder why sing is one I miss a lot. I don't mind so much if I miss to a word I never would have got like UPTREND or UNMEANT or recently changed status common to rare YONKS.
At the end of the day we all try our best and sometimes I feel sharing my frustration with other players might help me never miss that word again! Happy New Year.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:25:33 AM »
One of the words I missed for the supernova game was "arose." Do you know how many times I've read that word this last month to my young daughter?!
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
Hi Pen,
Thanks for the kind thoughts re bushfires.  Some areas in Victoria and the south coast of NSW were hit really badly yesterday. It's shocking to see such devastation happening.

Jacki - I'm glad someone else misses 'sing'. I feel as though I've missed it before as well. AS you say, so annoying when you get sign, singe, etc.  I think sometimes my mind is racing ahead of itself!

MK - I will definitely try your suggestion.  I think that's a good one and perhaps it gets other brain circuitry operating because you are doing it by hand. Definitely worth a try - perhaps today even....