Author Topic: CHOPPIEST game  (Read 989 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
CHOPPIEST game
« on: December 15, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
PEPITO
From Wikipedia:
The pepito is a sandwich prepared as a beef, pork, or chicken sandwich[1] , originating from Spain and also very popular in Latin America. It is a common street food in Venezuela and Mexico[2] and is also available at some U.S. restaurants.
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: CHOPPIEST game
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:15:37 AM »
Yes I know pepito. Not sure if you're asking for it to be included as a word or upgraded from rare to common. But it's definitely a word I've heard of here in Australia.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »
I tried pepito and was told it wasn't even a word! Happy to go with it being rare but it really needs to be an allowed word...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
Seems a perfectly good word to me.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
I'm familiar with pepita, but not pepito.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
Not one I've ever seen (or at least noticed).  I'll look for it the next time I go to a Spanish restaurant.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
I'm surprised that a number of forumites are familiar with the word pepito, because I can't see it in any dictionary, except Wiktionary, which lists it as an obsolete word for a gold nugget.

And my searches didn't show much use of the word in English language publications. Searching isn't so easy, since Pepito is a proper name. The Wikipedia article that ridethetalk quoted does have references, but at least one of the books referenced prints the word in italics, suggesting that the authors or editors didn't regard it as a fully naturalised English word.

I'm not convinced pepito is well enough established as an English word to warrant inclusion in Chihuahua.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites