Author Topic: Gorgeously game  (Read 1245 times)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Gorgeously game
« on: December 01, 2019, 07:24:49 AM »
Serology (rare) and Urology (common) were both playable.
Both are medical terms and I thought they would be treated the same, in the game tat is, not by a Doctor.  ;D
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Gorgeously game
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
Yes I played urology first and when I was looking for that elusive last common word and thought of serology I was disappointed that it was rare. That's Chi for you.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
I think urology is far more common than serology (which I had to look up).  In my view, the classifications are accurate.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
I agree with Dragonman; both words should have the same status; I did know both words, serology probably from watching so many 'cold case' crime shows on TV!

It got me thinking though;  I know there are a few regular players who in playing a game attempt to enter only common words.
How would they deal with such a situation?
One common word short of a rosette, they can see both serology and urology and know that one of them is probably the word they are looking for. Which one to choose?

Doesn't affect me; I play everything I see, common or rare; my aim is simply to get as close to maven as I can.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:00:15 AM by mkenuk »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »
Well that's the heart of it for me because there are so many words I decided to aim for only common words if possible and so you learn by trial and error.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
It got me thinking though;  I know there are a few regular players who in playing a game attempt to enter only common words.
One common word short of a rosette, they can see both serology and urology and know that one of them is probably the word they are looking for. Which one to choose?

I'd try urology before serology. Definitely.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 06:23:45 AM »
I work in a hospital & have never heard of serology.  Urology & their patients crop up frequently!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »

They log out, try the word then log back in to finish the game   >:D
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 02:53:13 AM »
I disagree that just because serology and urology are both medical terms, they should be treated the same way in Chihuahua. To me that is just like saying that because a horse and a skink are both animals, they should also be treated the same in Chihuahua.

Urology is a rather common medical specialty in the United States, and I can't imagine that men in other parts of the world are so little concerned about this aspect of their health that urology is rendered uncommon in their respective countries. My husband, being of a certain age, sees a urologist  every six months. Serology, on the other hand, is less visible. Laboratories have serologists, but ordinary patients do not go to see a serologist; they simply have their blood drawn by a technician at the lab and then go on their way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:43:58 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 06:47:46 AM »
I totally agree RM.  Urology is common here too.  As I said a bit further back I have never heard of serology.  I had to Google it to see what it is!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 01:30:52 AM »
I'm familiar with both. Though given the time I've spent in the company of medical students, I'm also familiar with osteology, otorhinolaryngology and nephrology. :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:34:57 AM »
In all honesty, does anyone ever use a word like otorhinolaryngology when it's so much easier to say E.N.T?

;D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 03:41:28 AM »
In all honesty, does anyone ever use a word like otorhinolaryngology when it's so much easier to say E.N.T?

;D

Depends if you're trying to air your knowledge.  ;D