Author Topic: How do other people handle plurals?  (Read 4930 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
How do other people handle plurals?
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
Below are the solutions provided today in the Melbourne "Age" for yesterday's Target puzzle. You'll notice that a lot of plurals ending in S are included, but other possible ones are omitted. I can't for the life of me see any pattern. Why not allow idles if you accept diddles? If loges is OK, why not lodes.

I think I've posted about something similar happening several years ago, when it seemed the paper was trying to exclude only plural nouns, and not verb inflections made by adding S. I think it's impossible to do that satisfactorily because there are so many words that are both noun and verb, but in any case idles can only be a verb, yet they don't allow it. And loges can only be a noun yet they do allow it.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: How do other people handle plurals?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
The equivalent puzzle in my local paper, The West Australian, doesn't allow any plurals or verb forms ending in 's', even irregular ones.  It also doesn't allow swear words.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »
It took me years to get the hang of plurals with Chi - ies, es and words like oases. I was used to a word puzzle in The Canberra Times and Sydney Morning Herald that allowed nothing ending in an S.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
The equivalent puzzle in my local paper, The West Australian, doesn't allow any plurals or verb forms ending in 's', even irregular ones.  It also doesn't allow swear words.

Sounds like the same 'Target' that appears in the English-language Bangkok Post.
No plurals of any kind - so mice and feet are not allowed; and any word that would have been taboo in polite society a hundred years ago is out,  so no 'naughty' body parts and nothing that refers to the more personal bodily functions . I do remember, however, that in one game urinal was allowed, although urine wasn't on the list.
Someone from the 'blue pencil' department slipped up there.....

As for the dislodged game that Alan quotes, strange that dogsled is allowed, but sled isn't.

Thank the Lord for Chi is all I can say.