Author Topic: Unfulfilling  (Read 1017 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Unfulfilling
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
Rejected in yesterday's 7-by-many game. I played it, assuming it would be a common word so was surprised it wasn't even accepted. (I know your views on people being 'surprised' that words are rejected, Alan, but to me this word would have been a no-brainer for inclusion in the original imported list.)

I think it should be accepted and would go so far as to say as a common word (although I beg to be differed with!) ;D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Unfulfilling
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
It is in COD - in the entry for unfulfilled -  so, imvho, it should certainly be allowed.

Common? Possibly not, although the archetypal 'well-read adult native speaker Chi player' would surely have no problems understanding it were  they to encounter it in the pages of a novel, for instance.

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »
Common for me too - though perhaps that’s just my life (sob)!

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 12:47:14 AM »
I was "surprised" by this too. (A quick Google search came up with over 1,000,000, hits, for what it's worth)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »
Ditto all of the above
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
This is definitely a common word. Way more than unmeant.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
I tried it, and even I was surprised it wasn't accepted! I'll review its status shortly.

And welcome to the forum, jancsika. Good to have you with us.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »
There's no doubt in my mind that unfulfilling should be accepted in future. The only question is: rare or common?

The word was, oddly, little used until the tail end of the 20th century, which probably explains why it was not accepted previously. (Although words of over 10 letters were added to the list only recently, for use in 7-by-many puzzles, they were derived from the same word list I used for the original words, back in 2005. That list was then a few years old, and had been based on dictionaries published some years earlier, which reflected word usage from some time before that...)

The OED has not fully updated its entry for unfulfilling since it first appeared in 1924. It gives one citation, from Shelley: "Alas! for Liberty! If numbers, wealth, or unfulfilling years, Or fate, can quell the free." The OED assigns the word to frequency band 3, explained as follows:

These words are not commonly found in general text types like novels and newspapers, but at the same they are not overly opaque or obscure. Nouns include ebullition and merengue, and examples of adjectives are amortizable, prelapsarian, contumacious, agglutinative, quantized, argentiferous...

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that unfulfilling is quite a bit better known than any of those words. Furthermore, the word is now quite often found in novels ("Lauren's life has been so much like a short, unfulfilling magic show, full of failed tricks and disappointing illusions." - The Christmas Town, 2017, by Donna VanLiere) and newspapers ("An absolute slog of a summer would seem to point to an unfulfilling end for manager Joe Maddon's club." - Chicago Sun-Times, September 2019).

Recently my views about which words are common have been influenced by a word list called 3of6game, which seems to match fairly closely my ideas of common words. This list includes the word  unfulfilling, but with a notation identifying it as a "signature word". These are words that the compiler of the list, Alan Beale, believes should be included even though they don't meet the relevant criteria. So presumably unfulfilling was in fewer than 3 of the dictionaries used in compiling the 3of6game list. But perhaps that's because the word's usage has been increasing over recent years, and not every dictionary has caught up with it.

Or maybe some dictionaries feel there's no need for an entry for the word since fulfilling is listed, and unfulfilling just means "not fulfilling".

In any case, I'm adding unfulfilling to our list as a common word.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:15:25 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites