Author Topic: philtre / philter  (Read 639 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
philtre / philter
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
Alexis Have you ever heard of the firm of J. W. Wells & Co., the old-established Family Sorcerers in St. Mary Axe?

Aline. I have seen their advertisement.

Alexis. They have invented a philtre, which, if report may be believed, is simply infallible. I intend to distribute it through the village, and within twelve hours of my doing so there will not be an adult in the place who will not have learnt the secret of pure and lasting happiness. What do you say to that?

Aline. Well, dear, of course a filter is a very useful thing in a house; but still I don't quite see that it is the sort of thing that places its possessor on the very pinnacle of earthly joy.

Alexis. Aline, you misunderstand me. I didn't say a filter – I said a philtre.

Aline. (alarmed) You don't mean a love-potion?

Alexis. On the contrary – I do mean a love potion.

Aline. Oh, Alexis! I don't think it would be right. I don't indeed. And then – a real magician! Oh, it would be downright wicked.

(from 'The Sorcerer')

A word familiar, probably, to fans of Gilbert and Sullivan, but not, 'twould appear,  to the vast majority of Chi solvers - played by a mere 19 from 293 in the birthplace game.
However, as one of the 19 - and a fan of G and S -  I'm just wondering why philtre was common and the 'American' spelling philter was rare?
philter in fact got 16 hits, only three fewer than its brother.

Perhaps, on second thoughts, they should both be rare?

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: philtre / philter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
Oddly enough, I think I've seen the philtre spelling more often than the philter.  But I agree, neither is common.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: philtre / philter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
I think I can switch philtre from common to rare without further discussion.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites