Author Topic: Forum problems  (Read 1331 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Forum problems
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
A few people have written, in other topics and by email, of difficulties getting to the forum recently. Sometimes the forum summary has not shown up next to the Chihuahua puzzle, and sometimes people have been unable to come to the forum by following a direct link.

I'm not sure of the causes of these difficulties, or if they're still continuing, but I've been intending for a while to relocate the forum back to the lexigame site. The chihuahua-puzzle server has a little less processing power, and perhaps should be allowed to concentrate on its primary purpose, of being an alternate Chihuahua site.

But I want to be sure that any new arrangement continues to show the forum summary next to the puzzle, since I know that is the main portal to the forum for many players. One feature that's caused problems in the past is the "New" symbol that appears next to forum posts you haven't yet read. From my recent testing, it seems that this icon is currently not always appearing when it should. However, this absence seems to be confined to the Chrome browser. And currently "New" is showing up in all browsers when you open Chihuahua on the chihuahua-puzzle site (i.e. the same site as the one where the forum is hosted), but it's absent in Chrome on the lexigame site.

I'd be interested to know what others are experiencing. If there's a general problem in Chrome on the lexigame site, I'd have expected to hear more about it, since about 40% of players use Chrome and about 80% play on the lexigame site.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Forum problems
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
I've not been able to see the forum on my smartphone for some time now; just a blank where the latest 'More or Les' should be!

In general terms the forum seems to work less well than it used to.

Mike

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
No problems with me Alan.  Both sites are working.  I have a PC with Windows 10 and Chrome.  Haven't tried my iPad with Safari recently but it was fine last week.  I don't own a smart 'phone.  Horrors!  How DO I survive?!  Val
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:20:22 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »
I've had no problems - PC, Win10, Chrome, lexigame site or Android phone, Chrome,  lexigame site.

Fishy

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 04:24:13 AM »
Hi Alan. Yes I have had the forum feed fail to load recently. I can't say for sure when the problem began.
I use a Windows 10 pc with Mozilla Firefox browser.

Problem was occurring for me on the chi.lexigame.com but not on chihuahua-puzzle.com

Clearing the cache and temporary internet files (followed by reboot) did not fix the issue. However, I run an extension within Firefox called 'Privacy Badger' which blocks trackers. It turns out that Privacy Badger had flagged the domain www.lexigame.com as a potential tracker.

After going into the options for Privacy Badger and marking www.lexigame.com as 'allowed' I refreshed the page and found the forum feed magically re-appeared  :).

I'm not sure what Chrome does with trackers by default. Perhaps, like Privacy Badger, it (or some other app) has mistakenly blocked the lexigame.com domain.

Hope this info is of some use to you.
Cheers.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:28:50 AM »
Hi Alan
You are already aware of the problems I had!  Happily all seems back to normal now.
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
Many thanks for your advice, Fishy.  You prompted me to check my Chrome privacy/security settings out of curiosity.  I've noticed a few times being asked by Chrome whether or not to allow tracking on a website that I am visiting for the first time.  They say that websites I frequent a lot are the "good guys".  But they also advise that they only block tracking websites when they "think" you don't want to see them.  Hmmmm!  How do they know, I ask?!  Perhaps that's why I didn't have any forum problems because I'm always logging in.  The truth is obviously out there...........
I'll sleep in my next life