Author Topic: Wikipedia definition - 'en'  (Read 1539 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Wikipedia definition - 'en'
« on: October 07, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
Can someone explain what 'en' is doing in these two definitions...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:11:16 PM by yelnats »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia definition - 'en' (spoiler 7 by many 6/10)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Good question.  The only way I've ever seen "en" is as a typographical term.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wikipedia definition - 'en'
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
The short answer:

It stands for "English"

The long answer:

The definitions are derived from Wiktionary, but rather than showing the whole Wiktionary page, I want to show just the meaning(s) of each word. Fortunately, the Wikimedia Foundation generously provides a tool for retrieving the underlying data for any entry. That data is provided in a coded form. So when you click on the word agin, a call goes out to the Wiktionary website, which provides the following data:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?><api batchcomplete=""><warnings><main xml:space="preserve">Subscribe to the mediawiki-api-announce mailing list at &lt;https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-api-announce&gt; for notice of API deprecations and breaking changes. Use [[Special:ApiFeatureUsage]] to see usage of deprecated features by your application.</main><revisions xml:space="preserve">Because "rvslots" was not specified, a legacy format has been used for the output. This format is deprecated, and in the future the new format will always be used.</revisions></warnings><query><pages><page _idx="927863" pageid="927863" ns="0" title="agin"><revisions><rev contentformat="text/x-wiki" contentmodel="wikitext" xml:space="preserve">{{also|Agin}}
==English==

===Etymology===
From {{der|en|sco|agin}}, variant form of {{m|sco|again||against}}.

===Pronunciation===
* {{IPA|en|/ə.ˈɡɪn/}}
* {{rhymes|en|ɪn}}
* {{hyphenation|en|a|gin}}

===Adverb===
{{en-adv|-}}

# {{lb|en|colloquial|or|now|_|often|humorous}} {{alternative form of|en|again}}
#* '''1859''', {{w|Charles Dickens}}, "A Tale of Two Cities", in ''{{w|All the Year Round}}'', vol. 1, p. [http://books.google.com/books?id=1NIRAAAAYAAJ&amp;output=html&amp;q=agin&amp;pg=PA98 98]:
#** ''At which juncture, he exclaimed, in a voice of dire exasperation : “Bust me, if she ain't at it '''agin''' !”''

{{anchor|en-prep}}

===Preposition===
{{en-prep}}

# {{lb|en|colloquial|or|now|_|often|humorous}} {{alternative form of|en|against}}
#* '''1859''', ''{{w|Harper's New Monthly Magazine}}'', vol. 19, p. [http://books.google.com/books?id=IEhGAAAAcAAJ&amp;output=html&amp;q=agin&amp;pg=PA278 278]:
#*: [The Court] said: "Young man, this ere Court is satisfied that there ain't nothin' in the laws of Vermont '''agin''' tippin' over a churn full of sap. {{...}} But I want ye should remember one thing—that this ere Court has made up his mind that it's a very naughty trick, and it's a shame that there's so many maple-trees in the State, and no law '''agin''' tippin' over sap."
#* {{quote-book|en|title=[[w:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer|The Adventures of Tom Sawyer]]|page=228|author=[[w:Mark Twain|Mark Twain]]|year=1876|passage=when I got to that old shackly brick store by the Temperance Tavern, I backed up '''agin''' the wall to have another think.}}

===Anagrams===
* {{anagrams|en|a=agin|Agni|Angi|Gain|Gina|NGIA|Nagi|Ngai|a- -ing|gain|gain-|gina|inga}}

----

==Scots==

===Preposition===
{{head|sco|preposition}}

# {{alternative form of|sco|again}}</rev></revisions></page></pages></query></api>

It's then up to the Chihuahua software to extract the relevant portions and format them for display in the little definition box. Unfortunately the coding system used by Wikipedia and Wiktionary is quite complex, and not necessarily fully documented. So occasionally something is presented in a weird fashion. As in the two examples you show, yelnats.

From the definition panel, you can always get the definition as presented by Wiktionary. Just click on the Wiktionary link at the bottom of the panel.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
THANK YOU!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »
But it seems like this type of glitch is occurring quite often all of a sudden. There appears to have been a change in the way Wiktionary entries are formatted, so I'll have to try to adapt my program to reflect the changes in the source data.
Alan Walker

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
You might be mistaken.

EN means it is a European Normative.  These are the standards by which compliance to the essential requirements of the European directives can be proven.  Reference EN 62368-1.

>:D
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 07:02:58 AM »
You might be mistaken.

I think Alan is correct. EN is the standard ISO abbreviation for English. Some systems add a hyphen and the standard ISO abbreviation for the country as seen in this table which produces entries like this:
enEnglish
en-AU    English (Australia)
en-BZ English (Belize)
en-CA English (Canada)
en-CB English (Caribbean)
en-GB English (United Kingdom)
en-IE English (Ireland)
en-JM English (Jamaica)
en-NZ English (New Zealand)
en-PH English (Republic of the Philippines)
en-TT English (Trinidad and Tobago)
en-US English (United States)
en-ZA English (South Africa)
en-ZW English (Zimbabwe)

Most web browsers allow users to set preferred languages at this level in order of preference. Web pages can make adjustments in what they feed the web browser depending on the web browser's order of preference (e.g. spellings, number, date, and time formats, quotation marks, etc.)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
I'm finding 'en' mysteriously replacing all definitions of present participles now, thus:

Verb:

1. present participle of en

But if the word ending in 'ing' can also (or instead) be an an adjective or a noun, the correct meaning appears for that part of speech only, for example:

nipping

Verb:

1. present participle of en

Noun:

1. The act or sensation of giving a nip.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
I've made some changes that should avert some of these problems. You may have to refresh the Chihuahua web page.
Alan Walker