Author Topic: Unmeant in the Augmenting 10 letter puzzle  (Read 2060 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Unmeant in the Augmenting 10 letter puzzle
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
Are you kidding - unmeant is common let alone a word? I'm just sitting here with my dad - a retired schoolteacher who has never heard of it.
Wouldn't you say "That is not what I meant", not "That is unmeant." 
It shouldn't be a word and certainly not classed as common.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Unmeant in the Augmenting 10 letter puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:30:09 PM »
It’s definitely a word, an adjective meaning not meant or unintended, and is in even my smaller dictionary. I got the word and have no issue with it being classed as common. Neither would I have an issue with it being made rare.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:59:52 PM by pat »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »
It shouldn't be a word ...

Don't tell me about it, Jacki. Tell the Oxford Dictionary - and Merriam-Webster, Collins, Macquarie, American Heritage, Dictionary.com, etc.

Writers have found unmeant to be a useful word at times. An example from the Melbourne Age a few years ago was in a review by Barry Dickins of the 2008 film Australia: "Each scene possesses its secret gaucheness and unmeant hilarity."

But you may have a point about it not being common. I'll consider that in due course.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
Doesn't seem uncommon to me - I've certainly seen it often enough.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:42 PM »
Apart from antigen with 35 players, it was the next least commonly found common word and that was not unmeant!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »
I'm with you & your Dad Jacki!  It seems wrong & a bit clumsy to me.  Like you I would say 'that's not what I meant'
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
Like you I would say 'that's not what I meant'

I agree with you, Hobbit, and I'm sure I would use that phrase if I were speaking to a person who took exception to something I said. I would probably not use "unmeant" in conversation, but might in writing.  But I certainly have seen it in written form.

Is this one of those cultural divides? I'm east coast USA, I know you are in England, not sure where Jacki is.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
I'm in the land of Oz Birdy and so far I don't think that many would disagree that this is certainly not a word that deserves to be classed as common - I hark back to T-Rex's definition which is something along the lines of kicking yourself when you see the word you missed because you had heard of it and yet missed it. 
Unmeant certainly is not in that category for the majority of people I would think.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:20:17 AM »
You might be right Birdy.  I think I would probably use unintended instead of unmeant.  I do have to confess that my reading matter is fairly lightweight & my vocabulary nowhere near as extensive as a lot of the Forumites.  I'm a middle of the table player with an occasional rosette :)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
I do have to confess that my reading matter is fairly lightweight & my vocabulary nowhere near as extensive as a lot of the Forumites.  I'm a middle of the table player with an occasional rosette :)

I could probably count my rosettes on three fingers (and maybe I'm overestimating).  I am not good at anagrams!  But in spite of the fact that most of  my reading matter is more than fairly lightweight (romance, science fiction, historical (including bodice rippers and regency), fantasy - though I draw the line at mysteries :)), I usually know most of the words that others question as common or rare.  That may be partly because I'm superficially interested in lots of different subjects, and because I've had a lifetime to accumulate the vocabulary.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 01:33:56 AM »
I am not good at anagrams!  But in spite of the fact that most of  my reading matter is more than fairly lightweight (romance, science fiction, historical (including bodice rippers and regency), fantasy - though I draw the line at mysteries :)), I usually know most of the words that others question as common or rare.  That may be partly because I'm superficially interested in lots of different subjects, and because I've had a lifetime to accumulate the vocabulary.

I love cryptic crosswords & anagrams.  I'm with you on romance & historical books but would swap your science fiction & fantasy for a good old fashioned Agatha Christie or similar.
Like you I've had a lifetime to accumulate vocabulary but my memory isn't what it used to be so I'm not so hot at remembering the words which I'm not so familiar with.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
I love cryptic crosswords & anagrams.  ..... but would swap your science fiction & fantasy for a good old fashioned Agatha Christie or similar.

Me too!  I'm just reading The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude and it's a lovely 1930s crime novel - I'd recommend it if that's your thing.  No blood and gore involved - a bit Sherlock Holmes, a bit Miss Marple, a bit Midsomer!  >:D

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
I just love the anagram word games.  And all types of crosswords.  Any word games in fact.  Always have since I was a teenager many hundreds of moons ago.  As for Midsomer Murders and its ilk; again, can't get enough of them.  Even the endless repeats.  What is it about them that appeals so much?  But I do also love all the spy type stuff.  Spooks was one of my favourites.  There are so many nowadays that I'm thinking I may not have enough time left to view them all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:11:59 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 05:13:34 AM »
Oh Val you're a lady after my own heart!  I watch & re-watch Midsomer Murders over & over.  Just after Christmas ITV3 here started right back at the beginning.  Not that many episodes but it was brilliant because I hadn't seen them for yonks.  I love a bit of Poirot & Miss Marple too. I've been re-watching a bit of Inspector Morse lately.  Enjoyable but not Inspector Barnaby! I'm sure you will have plenty of time to watch all of the Spooks & plenty more besides.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 05:19:19 AM »

Me too!  I'm just reading The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude and it's a lovely 1930s crime novel - I'd recommend it if that's your thing.  No blood and gore involved - a bit Sherlock Holmes, a bit Miss Marple, a bit Midsomer!  >:D

Thanks Linda that sounds right up my alley. Perfect!  I will investigate.  Not the same thing but I did enjoy the Agatha Raisin books by M C Beaton.  They're only little books but I found them quite entertaining.  Especially the earlier ones.
Pen