Author Topic: common words - just a muse  (Read 700 times)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
common words - just a muse
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
So, this is a topic that is forever a source of consternation.  I have learned to live with it and ignore it.  Palmy a common word?  Maybe across the pond, not in the US.  I missed it, but that's OK; I do not suggest it has to be common in all English speaking countries to be common.  I have learned to play "lino" which is a term virtually unused in the US,  and tyre = tire, etc.  What I wish is an asterisk on common word counts to indicate there is one or more common words therein which are not universally common.  Too much to ask for, I am sure, and it still wouldn't necessarily help anyone.  Oh well.....
Stevens Point, WI

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: common words - just a muse
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:13 PM »
I'm across the pond & I'd never heard of palmy before joining this wonderful site.  Just out of curiosity I typed it into google & wondered if it means anything other than a lot of palm trees! 
I did find a singer called Eve Pancharoen.  Her stage name is Palmy!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: common words - just a muse
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:51:06 AM »
The first time I typed palmy in I did expect it to be uncommon but I tend to "go with the flow" when it comes to common v uncommon as I freely admit to my linguistic short comings! Having said that myself and Davmar (the other half) often have conversations on this topic when our frustrations get an airing!