Author Topic: pressie common? Impressed game  (Read 2069 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
pressie common? Impressed game
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
Not on this side of the pond.  Thanks to my omnivorous trash romance reading, I do know the word, but I doubt it's common.  At least I've never heard anyone use it here.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: pressie common? Impressed game
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Thanks to my omnivorous trash romance reading...

Not sure what the trash romance has to with 'pressie'.  :laugh:  Fairly common alternative to present on my side of the pond.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
At least I've never heard anyone use it here.

I'm surprised you should say that, Elizabeth.  Do you recall this? >:D

I thought it was common Aussie slang, more often spelled Prezzie but on looking it up it is described as Informal, British.  Probably why when I did a search of the forum, the forumite using it most often was Linda, although I did find one from Anonsi on your side of the pond.

I have no opinion on whether it should be common or not.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:52:55 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
Presactly!  Those were the days ... made me feel quite nostalgic for the time when the Forum was used for instant messaging and quick witted (?) banter about pressies and hags!  >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:03 AM »
People are learning.
It got only 68 hits from 597 in the impressed game (about 11.4%)
It managed 71 from 360 (19.7%) in the priestess challenge game which has just finished!

To be honest, being a Brit. I'm very familiar with the word;
I'm just surprised its 'common' rating has lasted as long as it has on Chi before, finally, someone has got round to querying it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:49:12 AM by mkenuk »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:39:41 AM »
At least I've never heard anyone use it here.

I'm surprised you should say that, Elizabeth.  Do you recall this? >:D

I thought it was common Aussie slang, more often spelled Prezzie but on looking it up it is described as Informal, British.  Probably why when I did a search of the forum, the forumite using it most often was Linda, although I did find one from Anonsi on your side of the pond.

I have no opinion on whether it should be common or not.

OJ, people in the United States truly do not use the word pressie; well, maybe a few if they have a parent who speaks British English. The instances of United Statesians using it in the forum were, I'm pretty sure, cases where American posters were mirroring the language of their British fellow forumites in a spirit of international friendship. I myself started using the word whinge, a British word of which I had no previous knowledge before playing Chihuahua.

I'm just surprised its 'common' rating has lasted as long as it has on Chi before, finally, someone has got round to querying it.

In the beginning, MK, we didn't question the British-ness or the American-ness of the common words. We just learned them for next time (or not, depending on how good our memories were). It was only later that people started grousing that words were "too American" or "too British". I imagine that there are still a goodly number of players who are fine with the status quo or, for whatever reason, don't join the forum in order to lodge a protest one way or another. I daresay that the United Statesians who are active in the forum learned pressie early on and never thought twice about it. Lately I myself have thought twice about it, mainly as a response to numerous recent protests lodged about the American-ness of the common word lexicon and the suggestion that the lexicon skews in that direction. There have been several British words making their debut in the 7 by Many puzzle which in earlier days I would have commented on. I have held off on posting about them given the length of Alan's existing to-do list.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »
When I query a common word it's not so much to complain but to see what other players think too. As I say to my kids, as long as the rules are the same for everyone then you can't complain!
But I enjoy reading other player's thoughts and find it to be an interesting sideline to the games.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
Thanks to my omnivorous trash romance reading...

Not sure what the trash romance has to with 'pressie'.  :laugh:  Fairly common alternative to present on my side of the pond.

That's where I learn a lot of British/Australian slang and for that matter, other non-American words.  I mentioned it because I like to let people know that opportunities to increase their vocabulary are everywhere!  Or as one of our library's kids' reading incentives says, "Reading Is Fundamental."  :)

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »
That's where I learn a lot of British/Australian slang and for that matter, other non-American words. 

Here I was wondering whether there was some use for the word that I might not know.  I worry in case I use a word thinking it has an innocuous meaning and in fact it means something rather more ... sexual?

I mentioned it because I like to let people know that opportunities to increase their vocabulary are everywhere!  Or as one of our library's kids' reading incentives says, "Reading Is Fundamental."  :)

So very true. 
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 07:21:21 AM »
I thought it was common Aussie slang, more often spelled Prezzie

I too would have spelled it "prezzie".

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »
So would the COD, which gives pressie as an alternative.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:21:26 PM by mkenuk »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
I would definitely spell it as pressie. One word I have trouble figuring out how best to spell informally is breakfast. Is it brekkie? Is it breakie? Is it breakie? What do others think? Also biscuit - bickie or bikkie? Some prefer bicky or bikky.
I say brekkie and bikkie.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 07:18:38 AM »
I say brekkie and bikkie.

I agree.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
Again, referring to higher authority (in COD we trust), we find brekkie as first choice, with brekky as an alternative.

A bicky is what you might have with your tea or coffee for elevenses, but you could also spell it bikky.

Personally, I always like to have a choccy bicky.

bickies and bikkies are the respective plurals, by the way.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
Or as my husband says "You can have a chocolate biscuit for breakfast!" But I agree with the spelling of choccy.